Westmount Development | 12m | 4s | Anthem

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Another look at Anthem's latest project for Westmount Blvd (former CBC Building)
Aerial-1724-Westmount-home-page.jpeg

Attachments

• Aerial-1724-Westmount-home-page.jpeg
    Aerial-1724-Westmount-home-page.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 1,628
Kinda disappointed with this one, looks like a suburban townhouse complex, not the type of development we need in the inner city.

Reactions: MJC
I like the townhomes facing onto Westmount. I'm undecided on the other ones. They look kinda suburban, but have kind of a Scandinavian look to them. Overall has kind of a nice little village feel to it.

Remember when we were excited when Anthem/whoever at the time floated the idea of Brownstones for the site next to the Kensington Riverside Inn? And now how you could say there was some disappointment in simply getting that bland midrise? I like that they are going this direction on this site, and agree with you @AJX that it does have a Scandinavian vibe to it. I look forward to seeing it progress and no doubt get some refinement to it.

I think this kind of density is a good fit for the neighborhood. It's higher density than the surrounding houses, but not too high that it's out of context. Higher density and heights makes sense along 19th street or Kensington Road where they can form a retail strip. I love the rooftop terraces facing out to Memorial and the river.

Kinda disappointed with this one, looks like a suburban townhouse complex, not the type of development we need in the inner city.

I know what you're saying, the layout is something similar to what you'd see in a new burb. Hopefully the design turns out to be modern and not too cheesy. The height fits the neighborhood and it still brings in more people to the area.:)

I was originally hoping for more density , but this is a good amount of density for that area. I really like the townhomes that face out to Westmount Boulevard and 16th St.

I'm happy with this. It's a good example of how you can greatly increase density while still preserving the low-rise character of a neighborhood. I'd be very happy to see a lot of Calgary's aging suburbs get redeveloped like this in combination with mid-rise mixed use buildings on designated main streets.

I think it is a good for the site and a win for the neighbourhood. I love the interior courtyards, especially if we can have paving as that works well in Calgary and there is not shortage of amenities with the river valley.

My sole suggestion is having the potential for live/work units as I would love to see this beginning to permeate within inner city neighbourhood to start the transformation for inner suburb to knit community where you can make stops quickly and walk to what you need. But this is a win in my books. Totally surprised based on the garbage that Anthem is putting in down the street. Just terrible.

As someone who lives in the area I think it is a mostly reasonable proposal. Personally I don't think having another laneway entrance/exit to 16th is appropriate at an already busy intersection (but the alternative is more traffic on Broadview). Also the density is a bit higher than allowed under the existing ARP and should be brought in line. My two cents.

I was wondering if there was any new updates on this one? The old CBC building is demolished, I thought we might see something start up.

I was wondering if there was any new updates on this one? The old CBC building is demolished, I thought we might see something start up.
DP and land use were submitted last May but the city has put the file on hold pending a full review by Alberta Environment. Things are sounding optimistic but it will take time like anything at the provincial level. Should see construction fire up in spring of 2020.

Back