Westman Village | ?m | ?s | Jayman BUILT

Yeah, looks pretty good. The last time I was there, there was still a fair amount of construction, but you could see it coming together. As mentioned before this would be a decent template for something along the water in the west village area...or in Inglewood where Soho is.

Westman Village pretty much built now from the looks of it.

From Youtube

Image9.jpg
Image10.jpg

Living on a fenced off island, in the middle of a fenced off artificial pond. Your daily routine involves winding your way through a dozen identical suburban residential streets (all of them called "Mahogany") to get to and from the highway on-ramp. Few sidewalks and even fewer trees, since almost everyone's front yard is entirely occupied by a driveway.

The island takes up a lot of space in the lake. Seeing all those houses with docks looks odd. I am not a sailor but it does not look to me like there is enough room for even small sailboats. Is there enough room for sail boards? I guess you could tie up your canoe or kayak. If there is community access as well it could get pretty crowded on the water and not much privacy.

Last edited:
Living on a fenced off island, in the middle of a fenced off artificial pond. Your daily routine involves winding your way through a dozen identical suburban residential streets (all of them called "Mahogany") to get to and from the highway on-ramp. Few sidewalks and even fewer trees, since almost everyone's front yard is entirely occupied by a driveway.
Not very bike friendly either - you're basically forced to have a car to get anywhere (or a boat to get across this artificial pond 😑).

In the suburbs, cyclists should just ride on the street. Suburban drivers more than anyone else need to get used to sharing the roads. Mahogany is connected to the river pathways as well, so it's not as unfriendly as it looks.

Westman Village looks pretty good actually!

I found some more plans from the area below, might be food for thought relevant on how this area is being built. All these are from the Mahogany website:

1640130105468.png

Mahogany Village Market:
1640130148794.png

Mahogany Urban Village:
1640130204849.png

All my old foes in these ones. Developers not trying hard enough to push for better design and allocating density in the areas within the communities, city rules and road standards standing in the way of better development or safer streets (look at all those slip lanes). Everything, everywhere is inward looking. Every corridor and street is huge. Sure it's better than previous generations of power centres (they actually have sidewalks it appears) but yikes .... that's a ton of pavement and pure auto-uses in world struggling with regular transportation problems + climate change. For a development that won't be completed until 2025 or 2030 too!

All that discussion on Northland Village Mall's potential and other possible TODs being missed opportunities and here is one we are building from scratch, has tons of multi-family and density nearby and is still heading for a giant miss. Nothing like crossing 10 lanes of traffic to get to a train station.

Why do I have the sinking feeling that 52nd Street SE will somehow "need" expansion around when the Greenline makes it this far to be even wider? Yikes.

why it takes 2yrs to do the 5th st underpass, because the city deploys 1000x the resources to these greenfield developments 30kms from downtowm.

I think there is actually a planned pedestrian bridge across 52nd street when the greenline eventually gets down there. So, don't worry, the problem of oversized infrastructure making pedestrians uncomfortable will be solved with..... even more large infrastructure. It's only a problem if it can't be solved with money, right?

Back