Westman Village | ?m | ?s | Jayman BUILT

What's crazy, is that these developments still include huge surface parking lots behind the stores. But they also feel the need to cram in angled parking in front of the stores as well.
The angle parking is in the back. The developers show this as a part of the design to say it has 'street-oriented commercial' for a High Street, and then all of the buildings face the parking lots and turn there back on the street and angle parked areas basically 100% of the time.

Actually Seton/Mahogany and Auburn Bay commercial so far is worse than the High Street in Mckenzie Towne, because with the exception of the CRU's on the backside of the Sobeys in Mahogany, every other CRU turns its back completely on the public streets by design. The fact that we can't get building entrances to point the right direction (towards public streets) says two things to me: 1) Developer-led ASPs and architectural controls should not be allowed, as they will allow this trash everytime and steadily degrade the public realm in later planning/development stages, 2) File Planners either don't give a shit where buildings are oriented and are fine with all suburban commercial development being inward facing towards parking lots, or they have absolutely no power to ensure that entrances are correctly oriented (I'm leaning towards planners have no power is my assumption).

Back