• So So

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 20 18.2%

• Total voters
CLOAKING TOWERS.jpg

cloaking towers....anything to make them go away.....

Question, as a design architect, do you have any say in how far of a departure the final building can be from the rendering? I mean, if I was the guy who designed the initial renderings (which looked really good, especially the all glass crown) I would not want my name associated with this project. What is built is not what was originally designed and I would not advertise this building on my web page. I'm wondering how far can the final product be from the renderings and could the architect have any legal recourse if they truly felt the finished product was not their vision and they don't want to be associated with it.

Question, as a design architect, do you have any say in how far of a departure the final building can be from the rendering? I mean, if I was the guy who designed the initial renderings (which looked really good, especially the all glass crown) I would not want my name associated with this project. What is built is not what was originally designed and I would not advertise this building on my web page. I'm wondering how far can the final product be from the renderings and could the architect have any legal recourse if they truly felt the finished product was not their vision and they don't want to be associated with it.
I'm not an architect, but in my line of work (graphic design) when the final product gets watered down to the point that it doesn't match our vision...we just showcase our initial version on the website. I'm sure the design architect will do the same here.

It comes down to what type of business you want to be. Developers like Cidex who are extremely risk and cost averse likely wouldn't go for a boutique architect. Firms like NORR and S2 and Gibbs Gage are production firms who need to do a lot of volume to make money. Boutique architects like Marc Boutin or MoDa are more likely to stick to their guns on a design and are less likely to land a client like Cidex.

Basically, do you want to run a business that makes money, or do you want to make great buildings? Sadly it seems these days like you can't do both.

The design architect did a great job, the developer nickel and dimed the design to death, and NORR will do whatever their clients want no matter how much it butchers the project.

You're right, NORR does whatever CIDEX wants, which is why they get all of their business. I'm not sure the design architect did a great job though. The podium could be coated in diamonds and still look atrocious.

Back