Votes: 39 35.5%
  • So So

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 20 18.2%

• Total voters
How much of the decline in traffic numbers is from the downturn in he economy? have transit numbers and pedestrian / cyclist numbers taken up the slack? or are they down as well? I'd fully expect transit numbers to have dropped, and pedestrian cyclist numbers to have increased.

I couldn't agree more -- Macleod Trail is bursting at 31,000 vehicles a day inbound, and 9th Ave has 40,000 vehicles coming inbound. And the downtown and Beltline only have 25,000 residents. Once we build 28 more km of LRT and the population rises to 41,000, I'm sure the traffic volumes will drop, say to 23,000 on Macleod and 35,000 on 9th Ave and then we could start talking about reevaluating streets.

I'm sorry; I've just been told that my comment above has been sitting in a queue for 20 years; that the first traffic volumes are from 1998 and the second set from 2018, and that indeed 16,000 new downtown/Beltline residents and 28 kilometres of LRT have been built since I wrote those words above. Oh well, at least nobody is going to trot out the "let's wait" excuse now.

It's so interesting to see how volume on Macleod (at 12th Ave) has dropped from 40,000 to 29,000.

Both those roads are candidates for a road diet or to be made two way streets somehow..

IMO drastically changing 9th ave now is putting the cart before the horse. I use 9th, so maybe I'm biased, but it seems to me there are still thousands of drivers who use it. As someone said earlier, downtown has an awful lot of workers, and right now transit in this city isn't up to snuff to handle everybody. Someday I would like to see 9th changed into something nicer, but I don't think we're there yet.

I couldn't agree more -- Macleod Trail is bursting at 31,000 vehicles a day inbound, and 9th Ave has 40,000 vehicles coming inbound. And the downtown and Beltline only have 25,000 residents. Once we build 28 more km of LRT and the population rises to 41,000, I'm sure the traffic volumes will drop, say to 23,000 on Macleod and 35,000 on 9th Ave and then we could start talking about reevaluating streets.

I'm sorry; I've just been told that my comment above has been sitting in a queue for 20 years; that the first traffic volumes are from 1998 and the second set from 2018, and that indeed 16,000 new downtown/Beltline residents and 28 kilometres of LRT have been built since I wrote those words above. Oh well, at least nobody is going to trot out the "let's wait" excuse now.

Downtown and Beltline have nearly 50 000 residents combined. Beltline alone has over 25 000, and the 5 downtown neighbourhoods have another 20 000+.

Downtown and Beltline have nearly 50 000 residents combined. Beltline alone has over 25 000, and the 5 downtown neighbourhoods have another 20 000+.
So the entire downtown population is about the same as the number of drivers crossing the Bow on 14st, just for context given the discussion.

What's the minimum lane we can have that will accommodate buses or truck traffic? I'm OK with squeezing it a bit to make it more attractive.
Minimum lane widths on the City's complete streets cross-sections are 3.3m wide, and those are typically found on the Neighbourhood Boulevard and collectors, not typically seen as truck routes. That said, I do know there are some older lanes in portions of downtown that are about 3.1m wide, and they are used by transit, Mirrors overhang, but dozens of buses drive on them every day.

If it was to be pushed, you would likely not see 3.1m lanes though, so assume the narrowest you can make it is 3.3m.

DSC_8083a.jpg

DSC_8084aa.jpg

Which is two lanes, not even four like MacLeod, or five like 9th. What does that say?
14 St is 5 lanes over the Bow, so what does that say?

Minimum lane widths on the City's complete streets cross-sections are 3.3m wide, and those are typically found on the Neighbourhood Boulevard and collectors, not typically seen as truck routes. That said, I do know there are some older lanes in portions of downtown that are about 3.1m wide, and they are used by transit, Mirrors overhang, but dozens of buses drive on them every day.

If it was to be pushed, you would likely not see 3.1m lanes though, so assume the narrowest you can make it is 3.3m.
Narrowing lanes in areas is a great idea, would live to see the city do it, especially places like 5st south of 10 Ave, painfully narrow there.

Last edited:
14 St is 5 lanes over the Bow, so what does that say?

Narrowing lanes in areas is a great idea, would live to see the city do it, especially places like 5st south of 10 Ave, painfully narrow there.

14th Street is two lanes.

That two lanes can handle an immense amount of daily traffic and four or five is overkill.

Oh I'm well aware of how many lanes there are on the Mewata Bridge. I can count them from my living room.

A lane that's an entrance and an immediate exit lane doesn't exactly count as relevant to road capacity.

I really don't see the point in comparing a two lane each way road to a one way four lane MacLeod and a one way five lane 9th Avenue.

I also don't see the point of arguing in favour of potentially unnecessary inner city traffic lanes but perhaps you're high up in the Traffic Lane Lobbyist Group. IDK.

You may want to count lanes here. https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.048015,-114.0947293,3a,75y,354.73h,85.9t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sKQ0AxYhaK6CgxLRBTE-Ozg!2e0!6s//geo2.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=KQ0AxYhaK6CgxLRBTE-Ozg&output=thumbnail&cb_client=search.revgeo_and_fetch.gps&thumb=2&w=96&h=64&yaw=344.38098&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
It's 2 southbound lanes and 3 northbound lanes (the very right lane is the turn lane onto westbound Memorial). The 48 000 car trips the city reports isn't one way, therefore all 5 lanes are considered.

There are many lanes on 4,5&6th aves that are 2.6-2.8m wide. The minimum widths don’t always apply

Back