Votes: 39 35.5%
  • So So

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 20 18.2%

• Total voters
Toronto is king of horrendous podiums. Look no further that the Hudson's Bay Centre. Something more recent would be 1 York Street.

The city spent millions to make the street more pedestrian friendly too.

That is horrendous. Why is there what appears to be remnants of an overpass in the park across the street? Also, said park looks incredibly sad and has lots of potential.

totally agree, or make them into some sort of light installations to give them more purpose. I actually don't hate that they're there but they need to look like less of an afterthought.

Interesting. I like the randomness of keeping the pillars. All they need to do is plant some shrubs or trees on that sad patch of grass.

I did some googling. Pre public consultation recommended saving the pillars and incorporating them in the park design. The winning design doesn't have them.

Typical modern park design. An inflexible design with too many hard surfaces. It's a fun design and pretty.

So you like it or no? Fun design and pretty but also inflexible with too many hard surfaces? FTR I agree about the hard surfaces in modern park designs taking up too much space.

OuNGCYsfBGw-KLlRFh9WP0HTOW9SCKBJ254RIodbbJs.png

"We need to make the new park sound warm and fuzzy. Something like... "love park"... but not so lame!"

I'm seriously bummed that the design does not include the pillars from the old off-ramp. Good design, in my mind, works with the unique history and context of a place rather than just reducing everything to nothing and starting from scratch. The pillars may not be aesthetically attractive, but they are unique and curious and lead people to ask questions about the space and its history.

The solid wall with no setback of any kind is pretty harsh along 9th. If there's some kind of inset with glass front at the bottom for retail that would help. The beige colour choice is horrible. But let's be honest here, 9th ave is a one way hellscape of cars. I know new development should try to improve it but for the foreseeable future you have a car lot across the street and traffic whizzing by at high speed. This was never going to be a Kensington scale podium. The worst podium to me right now is Arris in East Village. Yuck!
The beige completely ruins it for me, if they used better materials the podium could actually look cool. The storefront glass on the ground level is the last chance for this podium. Dammit Cidex!

Do we know if there are any trees going in along 9 Ave? The podium of the Marriott complex on 10 ave looks so much more oppressive due to the lack of trees. They show trees in the rendering - but, of course, they ALWAYS show trees in the rendering.
The whole of Calgary's core suffers from a lack of trees, in particular along the tracks/9thave/10thave and the east side of the Beltline.

Back