• So So

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 20 18.2%

• Total voters
Hi All,
Good Questions Really! For a Site like a Parking Lot Site or like a Car Dealership (Stamped) I would have to Presume it would have to Go to a Land Fill of Sorts. Act Contaminated Dirt. Can't Let the Greenies, Malcontempts etc Know where its going.They would go right through the Roof. So Would Others. You wonder why No One wants to Touch that Land West of 14th St, All Toxic and Contaminated. Got Lots of MONEY to CLEAN UP that Mess? I Think Once something Gets Worked Out the Whole Areas will B Ripe for Office/Commercial/Apt/Condo Dvlpmnt. Hope It Answers a Few Questions, OK.
Tnx,
Operater.

It almost always has to be treated. We're building towers in areas that have been urbanized for decades or centuries.

There's always places that have fill and places that need fill. It's either taken to the closest clean fill site (place that wants dirt) or whichever site pays out better.

It almost always has to be treated. We're building towers in areas that have been urbanized for decades or centuries.

There's always places that have fill and places that need fill. It's either taken to the closest clean fill site (place that wants dirt) or whichever site pays out better.
And in some of the cases in Calgary when digging earth to make a man-made lake, the earth is used to make hills.

Example - Midnapore lake (hill on left side)
midnapore4A.jpg

The excavated soil can be a bit dirty, the top few feet would likely need to be remediated from car oil and the like leaching in, but most will be sold to a developer who needs to even out the grade in a new suburb or brownfield development. There are certainly health requirements that need to be satisfied before this can be put under houses.

Hi All,

So 1 Birdrie has Landed! Will B Nice when the Others start to Land in the coming Weeks.
Tnx,
Operater.

I'm pretty sure the first phase is the 150 meter tower. It's been mentioned several times by reputable forumers. Though it's also been stated that the entire project is going ahead all at once, which will be excellent. Around 800 residents and 90 000 ft2 of retail to the West End. Couldn't ask for much more. I'd even be happy if just the entire retail podium and tower 1 go ahead.

I'm pretty sure the first phase is the 150 meter tower. It's been mentioned several times by reputable forumers. Though it's also been stated that the entire project is going ahead all at once, which will be excellent. Around 800 residents and 90 000 ft2 of retail to the West End. Couldn't ask for much more. I'd even be happy if just the entire retail podium and tower 1 go ahead.
It makes sense that the tallest one is going ahead. That's the area where they have put the crane. I agree totally, having another 800 residents will be good for that area. It might be the catalyst needed to get that area going.

Looks like you were close.

Nice to see another tower rise into the sky. This summer we'll be watching Underwood and West Village Towers go up into the skyline.

Don't forget The Hat and Royal, along with (possibly) Citizen Tower. Ink and Verve will probably be topping out around mid-spring.

I'm too greedy with the success of the East Village. I would have preferred more than what we're getting with the West Village Towers. There's nothing exciting or different. I'm just more banal fill to an explorer that happens to come across the West Village. It's completely forgettable to the dozens of multiple tower developments on retail being built across urban and suburban centres. Every project brings new residents and business opportunities. I don't see that as a selling point.

I'm too greedy with the success of the East Village. I would have preferred more than what we're getting with the West Village Towers. There's nothing exciting or different. I'm just more banal fill to an explorer that happens to come across the West Village. It's completely forgettable to the dozens of multiple tower developments on retail being built across urban and suburban centres. Every project brings new residents and business opportunities. I don't see that as a selling point.
Regardless of the tower design being banal or not, it will bring a boatload of new residents to the west end of downtown, and more retail as well. The towers could be architectural stunners, but it wouldn't affect the neighborhood any differently.

I wish the towers were all of different designs and form at least (a la Eau Claire West), but I still don't mind this project at all. The retail podium honestly isn't that bad, and the jagged edges are something we don't really have elsewhere in the city. It's going to look very modern, and honestly, the average person isn't an architectural aficionado. Most people I know, for instance, think that the Aura's are pretty cool, while to most of us here they are garbage. :rolleyes:

Regardless of the tower design being banal or not, it will bring a boatload of new residents to the west end of downtown, and more retail as well. The towers could be architectural stunners, but it wouldn't affect the neighborhood any differently.

Tower designs weren't on my mind when I called this development banal. This is a large block that presented an opportunity to be broken up once or twice with retail lined corridors instead of a large internal driveway network for residents. That would be something for future developments in the West Village to be inspired and to expand upon. Why must the East Village be exclusive to that kind of urban experience? Instead, the West Village Towers will just inspire more of the same and bring in more boatloads of people. Yay? In my experience, the built form contributes far more greatly to the energy of a neighbourhood than the number of people living in it.

Back