Votes: 39 35.5%
  • So So

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 20 18.2%

• Total voters
Okay so basically I started making WVT in Minecraft (I've previously recreated The Hub and Telus Sky) but when I got to the crown it was just too horrendous to continue. Anyways, here's what I got done. Ignore the planning stuff 🤣

2021-02-18_02.41.09.png

2021-02-18_02.42.12.png
2021-02-18_02.42.00.png
2021-02-18_02.41.47.png
2021-02-18_02.42.48.png
2021-02-18_02.43.04.png

Attachments

• 2021-02-18_02.41.21.png
    2021-02-18_02.41.21.png
    1,000.6 KB · Views: 103
I'm going to get scorched for this, but I don't get the hate. I understand the dislike for the podium, but I like the tower portion and actually don't mind the crown. I also don't mind the spandrel. I'd much rather have this spandrel than spandrel we've seen on some other towers, or spandrel over stucco or some of the aluminum paneling we've seen on other buildings. They aren't my favorite buildings, but there many towers that are worse - tower and crown wise that is. The podium is awful, but it's not visible from many places.

I'm going to get scorched for this, but I don't get the hate. I understand the dislike for the podium, but I like the tower portion and actually don't mind the crown. I also don't mind the spandrel. I'd much rather have this spandrel than spandrel we've seen on some other towers, or spandrel over stucco or some of the aluminum paneling we've seen on other buildings. They aren't my favorite buildings, but there many towers that are worse - tower and crown wise that is. The podium is awful, but it's not visible from many places.
The whole development pisses me off because of the podium. The tower isn't ugly it's mediocre but because the podium is so atrocious, I hate this development a lot more. I'd take an ugly tower and a good pedestrian-oriented podium over this. The podium is the single biggest killer for this project because it sterilizes a whole block for generations, just when it looked promising with One Properties trying to develop across the street. Hence, the whole project is a miserable fail other than it got some more rentals on market and employed a bunch of people.

The towers are still better than probably 95% of the residential towers in the city. The podium is what completely ruins it. I can't remember who said it looks like the back of a really crappy convention centre, but that pretty much nailed it. The podium looks more like a loading dock than a commercial podium. Has any of the retail in there been confirmed?

I certainly wouldn't agree with "by a mile", and it is definitely not less oppressive than the West Village Podium... the sidewalk has steps to the roadway curb... and is 3 feet above the roadway... and the pillars only allow a very slim walkway. Terrible urban design. And y'all know I'm not a fan of West Village so don't get it twisted. Just putting it in context.

Personally I prefer West Village tower to Calgary Place. The podiums are equally not good, but the tower portion of West Village towers is much nicer IMO.
Calgary place was built I believe in the 70's. Its been 50 years since it was built, and the fact that it is debatable, really means WV wins the ugly contest.

Back