West 17 | 35.05m | 10s | Truman | NORR

Thanks Oddball! I've been creeping SRC and SSP for many many years now, time to contribute.

We are definitely starting to see change on this stretch of 17th, excavation is underway just a block away at 17th ave and 31st st for the Beacon, which I don't think is captured here on the site yet
https://www.beaconyyc.com/

Oh thanks Slashist. Beacon has definitely been mentioned here, but didn't realize it was underway. That is fantastic news. Thank you for the update, and welcome to SRC :D

IMHO:

1) Looks like a suburb condo development. Why do we keep building these silo buildings?
2) The stepped back look is dumb. Just built it square with some nice architecture and get the extra units. This sun paranoia makes no sense for a city that wants to urbanize. Near a transportation node, your sun paranoia fears don't count.

IMHO:

1) Looks like a suburb condo development. Why do we keep building these silo buildings?
2) The stepped back look is dumb. Just built it square with some nice architecture and get the extra units. This sun paranoia makes no sense for a city that wants to urbanize. Near a transportation node, your sun paranoia fears don't count.
Personally, I like the look of this design. I'm not sure what you mean by 'silo buildings'?

Great to hear this one may start up! I personally find it easy on the eyes and looks very modern. I don't know how this looks suburban one bit though, far from it IMO.

Great to hear this one may start up! I personally find it easy on the eyes and looks very modern. I don't know how this looks suburban one bit though, far from it IMO.
If this one begins, that is very exciting. I would suspect that while Calgary's overall condo market remains soft, the established west side on a local level remains attractive; home prices are out of reach for most while the area remains a popular place for young professionals and young families. Helps push up demand for infills and higher density (but cheaper per unit) living. 102 units is nothing to sneeze at either, there's only ~800 units within Shaganappi. Not to mention starting to erode the very-Calgary perception that taller buildings belong downtown and that it.

With projects like this one, west 17th Ave SW is another contender of a main street that will transition from a car-oriented suburban route to something far closer to an urban environment. Hopefully this one happens!

17th Ave up around Killarney has real potential, this could be the catalyst that gets it to the next step. As for the condo market, it's soft right now, but it seems smaller projects in good locations are still selling, this would be one of those cases.

Wow yes! That is dope. Thanks for the update :)

Back