Votes: 17 44.7%
  • So So

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I may be alone on this but man that is not a good looking first piece of the Riff. That alternating vertical/horizontal wood paneling is infuriating and the dark purply blue siding above it looks awful.
If god wills it, they'll hopefully switch the paneling and cladding to more neutral colors that match the buildings in the background. Black and white cladding with some reflective glass would be much better there.

I may be alone on this but man that is not a good looking first piece of the Riff. That alternating vertical/horizontal wood paneling is infuriating and the dark purply blue siding above it looks awful.

I couldn't agree more. If this is what we have to look forward to with active frontages in the Riff, holy shit am I ever gonna be disappointed.

It seems odd to me that those plastic tubes which I assume would be for electrical or gas hookups to some eventual piece of furniture or public art have just been left exposed like that. Curious what is destined for those spots and how long it will take before some drunk person decides it would be fun to try and snap one in half.
Can confirm for gas water and electricity and don't plan on seeing something there anytime soon!

My thoughts exactly. They almost need a Reno before the first tenants. Taller, brighter, glassier, less strip-mally. They'll be lucky to sign booster juice.

I kind of like the wood, it's more unique than what we usually get for podium retail. What we really need are businesses going in there, have they started leasing yet?

I'm not liking this for different reasons. I appreciate it's more than sheets of glass. I like the use of colour and the warmth of the wood.. The blue tint is unattractive and the wooden patterns only adds to an already complicated design. The wooden slats will blend together and ultimately look better if allowed to weather over time. The openness and high ceilings are hidden behind matte black metal panels and metallic grills with standardized doors, handles and, windows. The ordinary trying to be exclusive never works.

Can't say I like the metal

twitterjan4c.jpg

Ive been meaning to bring this topic up on general discussions but Ive found the perfect example right here. What I have a big issue is with the amount of tint used on windows and doors on ground retail, especially with new towers like this. For example, the amount of tint/glare on the Pango shop is decent and I believe it shouldn't go up any further from that point. I know retailers have security concerns but it took me a while to notice that the majority of retailers on ground level in European cities avoid aggressive tint or if any at all, i'm not sure if they have specific bylaws. Im starting to think it plays a crucial part in pedestrian traffic on sidewalks. It allows casual pedestrians to walk around and window shop. Especially for something like the Barber Culture shop, Id think twice before walking in not knowing how many people are waiting in line or which barbers are working today. That level of tint creates such a cold environment for pedestrians. I think it is a topic that requires a thoughtful engagement on by the City, maybe implementing something close to a zero tint policy on main streets for ground level retail.

Back