Uptown at Westbrook | 37m | 12s | Matco Group | Zeidler

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
A little surprised I couldn't find an article on here about this, but the Westbrook Station development now has a name and some shiny new renders :) 60,000 ft2 of retail and 407,000 ft2 of residential in 500 units.

http://www.matcogroup.ca/matco-development/
https://zeidler.com/projects/westbrook-station/

2016_01_26_WESTBROOK_VIEW_01_v2.jpg

02_westbrook-lrt-station.jpg

That could work. I'd like to see what it looks like on the SE corner, though.

A few observations/questions:

1. What is that structure with the orange symbol (that looks like alternating map pins) in the second picture? I don't see it in the first picture.

2. I don't like that there appears to be a driveway circling around the southern LRT entrance. That would greatly diminish the public realm. Keep the drop-off/pick-up at the north entrance in the main Westbrook building, which is already encircled by a road.

3. Is there any attempt to incorporate the diagonal desire line from 17 Ave/33 St SW directly to the southern LRT entrance? It looks like the buildings completely cut off that important intersection.

Other than that, it looks like we might finally get some real TOD after talking about it for so long.

I really like this one, looks better than the first design, and I like the way some of the retail comes up to 17th ave.. I'm a fan of the International style look.

I believe the dome is still happening, but supposedly only temporary, until they later develop that parcel.

Last edited:
I wonder if the developer is polishing these renders to remind people about their future development as a subtle push back against the soccer dome?

Well yeah - we can't expect them to start on everything at once really. There is a lot of property there. Showing up with a plan where the dome and parking lot sites are in the ground in 10 years would help.

Also shows the benefit of having CMLC handle things more in the future with more of an east village model (hopefully without too much subsidy), instead of large superblock development. Eau Claire and Westbrook are both super blocks turned over to a single developer, instead of dividing and releasing things in digestible chunks. Good lesson to learn.

It is definitely miles better than what is there. I'm not sure how I fell about it overall. Despite the C Train, this is quite a challenging site. It is back-facing to the library, some hairy townhomes, and service-corridor style retail. Westbrook Mall is truly depressing (IMHO). A part of me looks at the plan and wishes for a lot more density. I see the open spaces as a bit useless, frankly. Looks like beautiful walkway but it is hard to use for almost anything and keeps the deep setback that we see for Part Source. I'm just thinking about selling this site and development...it looks like a condo, but this site is yelling rental to me.

That being said, I don't know the area well enough to have a strong opinion about the product or market here. I like the porte-cochère (that circle drop off thing) and think it actually makes good sense on the site.

Anyone familiar with the redevelopment plans for Westbrook mall or surrounding retail? Any green shoots here?

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 1.20.18 PM.png
http://www.calgary.ca/_layouts/coci...p/westbrook-village-arp.pdf&noredirect=1&sf=1
The whole area is supposed to be redeveloped, the above link was the plan approved back in 2009. The mall would be replaced as well, with a more pedestrian friendly design. Some of the buildings are suppose to range 100m+. I feel like the developers bought the land and now their selling the concept short. This is a jackpot spot to make a highrise node in Calgary, if they aren't willing to justify the area due to slow market activity then they should just leave it alone for the time being or let someone else take over it. That concept would be massive density and potentially become a bumping hub because its next to an underground LRT station.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 1.20.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 1.20.18 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,771
I see what you are saying. Who is the the owner of Westbrook Mall? I don't see anything proposed. An old thread said it used to be owned by 20 Vic Management but they were acquired by Cushman in 2017. Cushman is the current PM, not sure if they are the owner though. Sales PSF on the mall is listed at $393 PSF, clearly in decline.

@maestro thanks. Heads up your link is 'broke. (http://www.cap-city.ca/)

They did win a couple awards in 2013 from ISSC for Cause Related Marketing (Northland Mall Eco Day in London, ON) and Ottawa's Greatest Mobile Photographer for Billings Bridge Centre in Ottawa (link)...although could credit that to the PM.

I see what you are saying. Who is the the owner of Westbrook Mall? I don't see anything proposed. An old thread said it used to be owned by 20 Vic Management but they were acquired by Cushman in 2017. Cushman is the current PM, not sure if they are the owner though. Sales PSF on the mall is listed at $393 PSF, clearly in decline.
The mall has been in decline for quite some time, and unfortunately what keeps it alive is the Walmart. Do you know if that PSF revenue includes the Wallmart? because that's the only business that is busy.

Back