Twenty3 | 19m | 6s | Eagle Crest | FAAS Architecture

When I watched the council meeting about this (and the other developments on the south side of 24th) they actually approved the DP's so that they could be used in court to justify scrapping the covenant. It was a rather contentious council meeting to say the least.
The Court of Queen’s Bench recently issued its decision respecting the restrictive covenants in Banff Trail.
link here.
If I understand this correctly; The City changed zoning on these lots - to a Direct Control District (DCD) specifically precluding single family dwellings, while the RC permits only single or two family dwellings.
The minimum density requirement put the RC into direct conflict with the DCD zoning, and created an opportunity for the developers to seek the discharge of the RC.
The Court's ordered the discharge of the RC against the lots which the City had rezoned to DCD, due to the minimum density requirements of the DCD conflicting with the RC.

Looks like the NIMBY's are stumped. You gotta do what you gotta do. Now, lets see some building happen!

Potentially exciting news for this one. Equipment is on site and they have done a level grading of the parcel. I wouldn’t expect the developer to do this unless they were planning on a driller being on site, so here’s hoping. 🤞

IMG_6857.jpeg
IMG_6856.jpeg

Developments seem to be starting up all over. Developers have accepted these interest rates will be around for a while?

My friend is a developer of small to mid-size multi-family rental in Winnipeg. He spent the last year getting his balance sheet in order because he was worried about higher interest rates. The recent decision by the federal government to remove GST on multi-family rental means millions of dollars in cost savings for him and was enough to tip him into moving forward with projects he was planning on holding off on until interest rates dipped again. I wouldn't be surprised if we're seeing a similar phenomenon here in Calgary.

My guess for these ones on 24th is that there must have been a ruling on the restrictive covenant that allowed them to proceed.

IMG_0138.jpeg
IMG_0139.jpeg
I am wondering if this is under construction after all? Kind of seems like it might be a staging site for the BTYYC project down the street. Lots of wall units are being built or stored or something, and there hasn’t been any foundation work at this site. 😕

IMG_4501.jpeg
IMG_4500.jpeg

Sad but informative news, the site isn’t under construction. A worker on site said it is a staging area for doing prefab walls. Unfortunately, he wasn’t sure which project it was for but my guess is it’s for the one down the street.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back