News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary Transit Fantasy Maps

Pretty sad that some hills, railroad tracks and roads are challenges for us to cross.

Stockholm, a city of 2 million people, which is built entirely on multiple islands, Has something like 10 metro lines servicing the city and surrounding suburbs, with many of them tunneling underneath the ocean and through bedrock. The "central" station has 4 metro lines stacked on top of one another.... Underground

1648136763181.png

Last edited:
One of those situations where density makes a difference. Density and mentality I think.

The city of Stockholm is just under a million, but is only 188 Sq km - about a 5th of the size of Calgary's municipal area. Definitely makes it easier to invest in transit, but also they have a better mentality than we do. I agree..it's pretty sad to see how little goes into transit for North American cities. Thankfully we're at least beating most American cities.

A NW gondola map:

Pretty self-explanatory; the main U of C station would be integrated to top level of MacEwan Centre:

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 9.53.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 10.02.38 AM.png

Several possibilities from Market Mall, but Northland/Dalhousie probably makes the most sense. You probably have to follow Shaganappi Tr to appease NIMBYs (NOMRs?), but it would be nice to get more into the heart of dense developments as opposed to the edge.

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 1.14.12 PM.png

A much bigger discussion that belongs somewhere else, but hopefully the Westbrook development can eventually spill out into Shaganappi Point (or maybe vice-versa*)
* Could they take a mulligan (har har) and try to catalyze things with a better process for the SW block of the course (holes 4/5/6/7)?
- Gradually scale the golf course back until its no more than a pitch&putt + driving range (LaunchPad/TopGolf style?); make more green space publicly accessible and solve the missing link of paved MUP to the Bow River
- Plan to develop less of West Village; thereby moving up the timeline for reclamation (don't have to wait on EV to 'finish'). At least 100m south of the river should be park space
- Not sure there'd be much of a case for this gondola until Westbrook/Shag fully built up, but what the hell, it's fun!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 9.56.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 9.56.04 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 100
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 10.31.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 10.31.45 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 103
A NW gondola map:
-snip-
Love the maps. Here are my thoughts:
  • It makes a lot of sense to integrate it with a redevelopment of the Shaganappi Point Golf Course. That's some of the best real estate in the city and a golf course is one of the worst possible uses for it. It could easily support a University District / Kensington type neighborhood, perhaps even denser considering its proximity to downtown. That way, you also avoid any NIMBYism from Spruce Cliff residents and the gondola would be planned for the new neighborhood from the start.
  • It would likely make sense to add a second gondola station further north in this hypothetical Shaganappi Point Redevelopment, before it descends the river bank
  • The biggest concern for the first part of the route is NIMBYism along 29 St. Maybe this section of the gondola could be closer to the ground (so it doesn't intrude on privacy as much) and the turnpoint station could be at 8 Ave NW so it gives more mobility benefits to residents of Parkdale
  • Everything past the red line connection (UD, Market Mall, Northland) could probably be better served by frequent buses if the city realized the value in actually focusing on bus operations. I definitely see the value in a gondola and think it would be cool, but buses could accomplish similar ends with far less capital (and no development hurdles) if we only funded more frequent operation.

I've been thinking a lot about the proposed regional rail line to Banff.

Given that current plans call for a stop in the Keith valley area, I think it makes sense to target this area (which is super sparse despite having a great location) for a massive TOD - it could be a new high density urban node for Calgary. In the scenario where we decide to develop the region into a high density neighborhood, it makes sense to also give it good transit beyond the regional rail line.

The regional rail line will need a new rail track along the NW CP right of way. So if we build new bridges, crossings, and infrastructure for the new regional rail track, why don't we also make them big enough to support an additional track which could be at the center of a new heavy rail line for Calgary? I was thinking you could add 2 rail tracks in total, and have them be shared by regional rail and by a new suburban heavy rail line that we add eventually if we get enough development in Keith to support it.

1653453133403.png

Here's a map of what such a rail line could look like. While there are a lot of flaws with this idea (including CP potentially not playing ball for negotiations), maybe if we're smart there's an opportunity to get a pretty significant transit line built for pennies on the dollar.

Given that current plans call for a stop in the Keith valley area, I think it makes sense to target this area (which is super sparse despite having a great location) for a massive TOD - it could be a new high density urban node for Calgary. In the scenario where we decide to develop the region into a high density neighborhood, it makes sense to also give it good transit beyond the regional rail line.

The regional rail line will need a new rail track along the NW CP right of way. So if we build new bridges, crossings, and infrastructure for the new regional rail track, why don't we also make them big enough to support an additional track which could be at the center of a new heavy rail line for Calgary? I was thinking you could add 2 rail tracks in total, and have them be shared by regional rail and by a new suburban heavy rail line that we add eventually if we get enough development in Keith to support it.

View attachment 402334
Here's a map of what such a rail line could look like. While there are a lot of flaws with this idea (including CP potentially not playing ball for negotiations), maybe if we're smart there's an opportunity to get a pretty significant transit line built for pennies on the dollar.
Love it.

I've long though that those lands along the CP tracks would be best used as high density development. I could totally see a train station to Banff being a pretty solid selling feature of a new high density neighborhood in that spot. Especially if the train line doubled as regional transit.

Love it. Realistically I'd cut the stations way down initially knowing you can always infill some more later. Just run it on the regional system (same cars); off peak hours you cut out most of the stops for express service out of town

Central
Sunalta
Bowness
Your Banff Rail Station - I'd call it Bow Valley Station - ties in more to Bowness/Bowmont namings and no confusion with Banff Trail

I'd also see this running up to the airport with a couple stops, probably 96th, 64th, and 16th/8th, and maybe even Inglewood at 17 Ave SE.

View attachment 402334
I think it could be done for less than a billion incremental bucks. Is it the project I would deploy an incremental billion bucks too? Probably not.

Also, 4th St SE is the last resort station location, not the first. Good to have in the back pocket as the 'easy to do' option so projects don't fall apart due to station concerns, but otherwise not favoured.

I think it could be done for less than a billion incremental bucks. Is it the project I would deploy an incremental billion bucks too? Probably not.

Also, 4th St SE is the last resort station location, not the first. Good to have in the back pocket as the 'easy to do' option so projects don't fall apart due to station concerns, but otherwise not favoured.
The idea here is that despite not being an immediate priority, we could plan ahead (both in terms of land use and regional rail infrastructure) to make this a possibility in 30 years or whenever the time comes. As @lemongrab mentioned, less frequent service that uses the regional rail track could be a stopgap in the meantime.

I also think a 4th SE Station might not be as bad as you think. Sure, it wouldn't contribute to CBD revitalization as much as a more centrally located station, but it would supercharge East Village and Vic Park redevelopment. I think having the central station at or near the Calgary Tower would be super cool but maybe the additional cost isn't worth it.

Hey all,

I've refined some of the ideas that I posted here previously (updated maps are here). Along with the report that I made and the operating time analysis which shows how this network redesign could be possible using the existing operating budget, I am ready to make a big advocacy push to try enact some real changes to our bus network.

I am reaching out to councilors and other city employees. But in the meantime, there's some work that needs to be done, and I've assembled a small team who is interested.
If you'd like to help our team, we'd appreciate any help you can offer. We are also looking for the following skills in particular:
  • Video editing
  • Making a GTFS (we can hook you up with a software to do this - you don't need to know how to do it already, just be willing to commit to learn and put in a decent amount of time)
If you're interested in helping out in any way, pop in to our discord and say hi: https://discord.gg/UzACXw9yCe

Back