The Sentinel | 24m | 6s | Arlington Street | Jackson McCormick

I’m with everyone on the design of this being pretty lame, but I don’t have a problem with the scale. The height
/density seems fine to me. Personally I don’t like having towers or taller buildings directly on high streets…they are more imposing and block more light, which works against having a human-scaled experience, which I think is what often makes a great pedestrian-focused shopping street.
300 units is nothing to sneeze at here - this is a large development, just not tall. Now that the updated design has dropped the main level to the ground, it's a far more accessible and integrated building to the sidewalk.

Like many developments, I think this will come down to the materials and streetscape design when it's actually built. The renderings don't seem to highlight the street retail section very well, but the form/basics are there. I'd give this one a cautiously optimistic thumbs up.

Agree that it doesn't have to be tall, but it also must not suck. This looks to me like a residential building that would be built in the suburbs. I know there's retail at grade, but it looks more like an afterthought than a focal point in the renders. Aside from that the colors are muted and boring, the materials don't look promising, and the overall design is derivative and generic. This thing will be the largest building at one of the most important intersections in centre city, and so needs to be of high quality.
It honestly looks less impressive than some old care homes that have been built in the suburbs.

At this point, when a development forum is anti-development, the city has to ask and get better from the developer.
Best they will do is write a strongly worded letter.

If that. I bet they will not address it at all, and we’ll be stuck with an underwhelming development at a prominent area of the city. It’s preventable.

Back