The Fifth | 17m | 5s | Arlington Street | NORR

I could see things begin to turn around for 17th once things like the construction are over and the corona-storm passes, and with the Flames being a playoff team now and probably for the next few years it should fuel some stores and restaurants to open up. I can't see the city letting 17th slowly die.

But time will tell I guess.

if they arent developing it it would be a good place for a food truck park, though that propably wouldnt go down well with the exsisting restautants.

17th is becoming downright bleak and rightfully so with the multiple gut punches over the last few years. would be a good time for a deep playoff run.

View attachment 247845
Didn't ASI also own this property along with the houses next to it for future development? I believe the deal with the Carnali's was that they would manage the Bon Giorno business with an eye to opening a restaurant in the new development.
This is a second blow to them. They were owners in Il Gallo Nero which was on 17th between 1st SE and Macleod Trail. They lost everything in the flood of 2013. Just when they were probably getting back on their feet, they get wacked with 17th Ave construction, then the COVID closure. Probably concluded that it was not worth reopening at 50% capacity. Seating was always tight in there to begin with.
I really feel for these small business owners. There is going to be a tidal wave of closures coming.

Didn't ASI also own this property along with the houses next to it for future development? I believe the deal with the Carnali's was that they would manage the Bon Giorno business with an eye to opening a restaurant in the new development.
This is a second blow to them. They were owners in Il Gallo Nero which was on 17th between 1st SE and Macleod Trail. They lost everything in the flood of 2013. Just when they were probably getting back on their feet, they get wacked with 17th Ave construction, then the COVID closure. Probably concluded that it was not worth reopening at 50% capacity. Seating was always tight in there to begin with.
I really feel for these small business owners. There is going to be a tidal wave of closures coming.

True this will be a hard blow to recover from. On the bright side, restaurants and businesses are beginning to welcome back patrons. Hopefully folks support their favourites regularly to help them get back on their feet.

I went by today and it looks like the jersey barriers went alongside the 5th street cycle path and weren't being removed like they appeared to be in the picture. There was a skid steer and a mini excavator digging on site. Hoarding is still up. Doesn't look like the site is stalled!

Looks like they're putting in a temporary sidewalk, I hope this means they're starting,
15907004255029052809569074075405.jpg

There are vehicles on site today. Don’t think we’ve seen the last of this one.

I doubt it. The southern 1/3 of the site is like 4 feet down, and there’s a site office trailer thingy along the fifth street side.

Back