Votes: 43 66.2%
  • 3 So So

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • 4 Not Very Good

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • 5 Terrible

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
Any updates on this one? Drove by the sight today and there doesn't seem to be much action going on.

If there were any updates, they would be posted here within hours of their materialization.

Nothing lately, but it is going ahead. They made some changes to the permit and they've been approved. It had heard it was starting soon, but maybe they are waiting until Stampede is over.

from https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-hotel-occupany-tourism-economy-1.5241953 - to start this fall

4-star hotel delayed
At least one major hotel project is being delayed in downtown Calgary.

The Dorian, originally set to open late next year, has had its planned opening date put off until early 2022, according to PBA Land and Development, the company behind the project.

It says the economic downturn was longer and deeper than previous ones and it wanted to make sure the recovery is sustainable and not merely a "blip."

dorian-hotel-vertical.JPG

The Dorian was originally scheduled to open next year, however the opening date has now been pushed back to early 2022. (PBA Land and Development)
"We are taking a long-term view for our product, and also using projections that contemplate a longer, slower recovery to the hospitality market," said Andrew Boblin, a senior vice president with the company.

Construction on the $100-million, 308-room hotel at 525 Fifth Avenue S.W. is now set to start this fall.

I’m not surprised they’ve bumped it again. They want to build it, but there’s no rush right now.

That's fair. I'm surprised they're still going ahead this fall. That's nice to hear.

It is. Obviously the opening of the hotel would be delayed if construction hasn't started.

If it starts this fall, no big deal. I'm sure it's getting built, but isn't this the second or third time it's been delayed?

I think they had to re-submit permits cause they were reducing their parking spaces
Correct. They had to change their DP which was one delay, and possibly another delay. I had heard a few months ago they were getting ready to go, and had expected them to maybe start after Stampede.

I take the tentative fall start date with a grain of salt. It's a large investment for PBA L&D and its partners.

Back