• 5 Terrible

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Development permit for 304 suite hotel was submitted a while back and is now slated for council. Planning commission has recommended approval. Sources say that once approved a building permit will be applied for.

PBA-5th-Ave-Hotel.jpg

Attachments

• PBA-5th-Ave-Hotel.jpg
    PBA-5th-Ave-Hotel.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 3,066
Last edited:
Pretty much everything within a block radius could go and no would would notice never mind miss them. The parking lot in the foreground is the site of the Oxford proposal (taller than Brookfield) no? Please let these things happen.

Pretty much everything within a block radius could go and no would would notice never mind miss them. The parking lot in the foreground is the site of the Oxford proposal (taller than Brookfield) no? Please let these things happen.
Yes parking lot is owned by Oxford and original concept was to be taller than Brookfield. They had a rendering released but I believe it will be redesigned.

Pixelation seems to be a common thing with Marriott's in Calgary. I agree with you Disco about the pixelation thing. A couple of buildings done that way are good, but I don't like that style being the 'go to' design. I liked the pixelation look on the Genco building on 6th when it was finished. I don't mind the look on 6th and Tenth either, but we have enough already.

Another hotel would be good for the CBD, along with a few more residential buildings.
I know this would never work but it's too bad the city couldn't zone all remaining parking lots to be residential or mixed use instead of office only .

Another hotel would be good for the CBD, along with a few more residential buildings.
I know this would never work but it's too bad the city couldn't zone all remaining parking lots to be residential or mixed use instead of office only .
Exactly! We have soooo much office space in the core already.

All of the districts for the downtown core do allow for residential uses. For instance, the Oxford site next to this proposal is zoned CR20-C20/R20 Commercial - Residential Core. And as per the City's Land Use Bylaw, found at lub.calgary.ca, The CR20-C20/R20 designation is for high-rise, high-density development with a mix of commercial, residential and cultural uses within the Downtown.

All of the districts for the downtown core do allow for residential uses. For instance, the Oxford site next to this proposal is zoned CR20-C20/R20 Commercial - Residential Core. And as per the City's Land Use Bylaw, found at lub.calgary.ca, The CR20-C20/R20 designation is for high-rise, high-density development with a mix of commercial, residential and cultural uses within the Downtown.
Cool.

I think most developers are more interested in doing office only because the money is better, and the projects are less complicated.

Back