Votes: 43 66.2%
  • 3 So So

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • 4 Not Very Good

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • 5 Terrible

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
Question for the construction experts. I’m watching the drilling action at site, and have noticed that they have been drilling their holes, and filling with concrete, but aren’t using any piles. Is this some sort of new technique? I thought they always put in the piles and then add the concrete after.
Caisson pile / shoring. This is really quite common these days.

May be caisson Piling as Mountain man said. I think that is the most robust of the shoring systems out there and especially good if maybe ground water is a big problem for that site, considering its within a 1km from the river.
I remember Le Germain excavation being an absolute nightmare becuase they basically broke into an underground river..

op+Ji7nrTseVPQKIcgs6eQ.jpg

There is some news for this project. Construction will be going ahead soon, like within the next couple of weeks or so. Ellis Don will be the GC. Also I have been told that the height will be 42 floors and 5 levels of underground parking. I haven't seen the development permit, so 42 floors might be incorrect. But I've heard 40 floors and 42 floors.
You called it. Any other construction starts coming up?

You called it. Any other construction starts coming up?

Place 10 will ostensibly be restarting before the end of the year, and McPherson Square could surprise us as well. Sales aren't doing too bad at Nude, so wouldn't be too surprised to see that one come out of the woodwork either.

I've seen these caisson piles used in other sites, but I thought they sunk a steel pile into the caissons along with the concrete, or am I imagining things?

For a structural pile they drop in a cylindrical rebar cage but maybe for shoring it doesn't need it. There's also situations where they put a slurry in the hole as they drill prior to the concrete to keep the hole from caving in. https://www.pilebuck.com/foundation-manual-caltrans/chapter-9-slurry-displacement-piles/

There should be soldier piles or caissons reinforced with those cages spaced around the excavation.

Next time I'm down there (probably Wednesday) I'm going to capture a time-laspe, just to see what the process is. The one day I watched they were digging and then pouring in concrete, or cement slurry, then later they actually covered the holes with dirt. I haven't seen any reinforced cages or soldier piles yet.

It's only every 4 or 5 caissons that needs to be reinforced like that. They are using steel tube liners for the holes. The concrete has to still be wet to remove them to reuse. Could be why they cover the concrete afterwards.

There should be soldier piles or caissons reinforced with those cages spaced around the excavation.
Piles are on site now. They are re-drilling, but with a smaller circumference - and then adding the piles in .
It looks like that replacement piling system that was mentioned earlier.

Back