The deVille | 52.12m | 13s | Remington | Gibbs Gage

I don't know if its just me but Im a big sucker for high rises nodes spread all over the city, especially around Transit sites. Which is the one thing I really like about metro Vancouver. If done right it can give your town that big city feel where things are happening, plus its visually appealing while driving and flying, as long as you don't get crappy designs like The Hub. Still waiting on that Westbrook node...sigh
View attachment 267681

I think the two trailer parks east of 24 st are zoned for future TOD, maybe a possibility for some extra towers (at least a decade away but probably longer)!

I'm the same way and I echo your thoughts on metro Vancouver in my head all the time. Wouldn't it be awesome if Westbrook, Currie Barracks, Brentwood Commons started development post haste? I think I've mentioned it before but I'd love to see a node of high rises in Crowfoot Plaza. I think it would be cool to see that while traveling Eastbound on highway 1, coming back from mountains before you actually get into city and see the CBD. Of course if we got those nodes we'd want one a couple on the East side of the city for symmetry purposes. A few more high rises at Quarry Park would be great but I'm unsure of a second location in the East side that would have potential..35L and 35R at YYC kind of hamper locations in the NE. I suppose the Saddletowne station would work for a small node.
The NE, east of Deerfoot, definitely needs some taller buildings, I’m a local in the area and hands down the most boring part of the city to drive in terms of architect, maybe SE is up there. I get height restrictions play a part due to the proximity to the airport but it can revise its land use to allow for some high rises that go up to at least 16 storeys or so especially around the two malls where transit is accessible. Sort of like developments happening in Richmond this past decade or so.

The NE, east of Deerfoot, definitely needs some taller buildings, I’m a local in the area and hands down the most boring part of the city to drive in terms of architect, maybe SE is up there. I get height restrictions play a part due to the proximity to the airport but it can revise its land use to allow for some high rises that go up to at least 16 storeys or so especially around the two malls where transit is accessible. Sort of like developments happening in Richmond this past decade or so.
Like you say probably due to the proximity to the airport, but you would think adding another 5 storeys to the height wouldn't make much of a difference.

119893516_2787715248171714_8247394046249982491_n.jpg

It’s quite noticeable from a few angles now. The SE needs more towers of this height. I wonder if the tallest condos in Seton will ever materialize or if everything will end up being woodframe, block long Cedarglen garbage?
Seton looks to be Suburban junk from what I can see. What Calgary needs is more 30+ storey towers outside the core to be noticeable from different areas in the City. Due to our hilly terrain, most towers outside the Core aren't even noticeable until you get within a few Km's of them. The towers over by Westbrook are the only ones I can think of that can be visible from different quadrants of the City.

It would be really cool to see more well-planned highrise (30+ storeys) nodes popping up around LRT stations. Aside from a density boost, they can really make a City look more interesting. Vancouver always baits me in like this. From afar you see so many highrise nodes that you just want to go visit each one of them and see what's popping. Unfortunately, Calgary's lowrise character makes the City a bit predictable and lackluster to drive around. There are a few nodes in the works but until they materialize, a car or a plane ride in/over Calgary will mostly be about the sea of suburban homes and a handful of midrises every few km's outside the Core.

It’s quite noticeable from a few angles now. The SE needs more towers of this height. I wonder if the tallest condos in Seton will ever materialize or if everything will end up being woodframe, block long Cedarglen garbage?
Yeah, definitely more noticeable, you can easily see the tower from Deerfoot now. Kinda nice to have something in the backdrop in that area.

With the Green Line delayed and possibly not getting built, I wonder how the traffic is going to be when these towers get completed.

With the Green Line delayed and possibly not getting built, I wonder how the traffic is going to be when these towers get completed.
24 street is really underutilized at the moment, but 18 street gets slammed in rush hour (moreso pre-covid though). I live somewhat nearby and personally take 18th nine times out of ten to/from Glenmore as I find it more convenient.

Back