The Boulevard at Dalhousie | 74.98m | 22s | Calgary Co-op | Sahuri + Partners

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://boulevardatdalhousie.ca/

5 phases, 444 units, 100,00 sq ft of retail and 44,000 sq ft of office space.

2016-10-21-open-house-boards-Page-008.jpg
2016-10-21-open-house-boards-Page-006.jpg
2016-10-21-open-house-boards-Page-005.jpg
2016-10-21-open-house-boards-Page-007.jpg
2016-10-21-open-house-boards-Page-009.jpg
2016-10-21-open-house-boards-Page-001.jpg

Attachments

• 2016-10-21-open-house-boards-Page-008.jpg
    2016-10-21-open-house-boards-Page-008.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,248
  • 2016-10-21-open-house-boards-Page-006.jpg
    2016-10-21-open-house-boards-Page-006.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,331
  • 2016-10-21-open-house-boards-Page-005.jpg
    2016-10-21-open-house-boards-Page-005.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,201
  • 2016-10-21-open-house-boards-Page-007.jpg
    2016-10-21-open-house-boards-Page-007.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,220
  • 2016-10-21-open-house-boards-Page-009.jpg
    2016-10-21-open-house-boards-Page-009.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,267
  • 2016-10-21-open-house-boards-Page-001.jpg
    2016-10-21-open-house-boards-Page-001.jpg
    614.4 KB · Views: 1,184
It's interesting for sure, but it seems kind of isolated. There is the new pedestrian overpass that connects to Northland Mall, but it's not very direct. There is some connectivity to Dalhousie Station via Dalton road, but it's a bit of a hike. To me seems car dependent, but I do think it's better than what's there now, and if Northland gets redeveloped as planned, could tie into it nicely.

I think you hit it on the nail when you said, it's better than what's there now. In that particular location, the options are limited, this is the best use you could expect for that.

Nothing says urban living like a community built around two gas stations on either side of the street, surrounded by parking lots.

Seriously, seeing developments like these makes me feel like car dependency is so deeply designed into the suburban landscape that no amount of densification will solve it.

I'm okay with the gas station and parking lots, but wish this was closer to LRT or better transit. I think you're right about the car dependancy, people who live there will need their car to go anywhere.

The building design is nice, but I expect more out of Calgary's suburban developments. The land use is terrible.

It's interesting for sure, but it seems kind of isolated. There is the new pedestrian overpass that connects to Northland Mall, but it's not very direct. There is some connectivity to Dalhousie Station via Dalton road, but it's a bit of a hike. To me seems car dependent, but I do think it's better than what's there now, and if Northland gets redeveloped as planned, could tie into it nicely.

Taken on it's own it certainly could be considered isolated, but I think when you consider that Northland Mall revelopment and that a C-Train station is being considered for the area it'll actually be pretty good. I'll take the Brentwood one first a million times over, but I'm not such a downer on this one.

I like the overall look of it, but what I find funny about the design is how the Co-op is basically being treated as a nice green space might normally be. I suppose that there has to be compromise though. That Co-op serves many more people than just the future condo dwellers. I really wouldn't want one of the inside units though.

Reactions: AJX
Yeah umm...not really sold on this one. If this was closer to the LRT station I could probably be fine with it, but I don't know how this is going to do anything except actually create traffic problems.
I'm the last guy to complain about new development causing traffic problems, but I believe this one truly will.

There was talk of adding a North Land LRT station at one point. That changes the dynamic for the area if true.

I think the city was pressured to say "OK" after the backlash they faced from rejecting the Oakridge concept. These designs are absolutely lazy, poorly planned, and unappealing. I would rather have another private developer take over the land and put some actually effort into it.

Yeah umm...not really sold on this one. If this was closer to the LRT station I could probably be fine with it, but I don't know how this is going to do anything except actually create traffic problems.
I'm the last guy to complain about new development causing traffic problems, but I believe this one truly will.
400 units versus the existing traffic of the grocery/gas/liquor stores? Nah.

Back