Solo on 4th | 16.76m | 5s | Indevelopments | Indevelopments

Exactly. Tweek the materials and it can be a different building.
Hopefully this gets sent back again. It still has a very cheap suburban feel for me.

Here's another proposal just down the road. Much better use of masonry and stucco IMO.

18-1049_Matrix_AA_Externa_31_Day_001_RGB-web.jpg

I'd love that on Fourth just with glassy/vibrant looking ground level retail.

Not sure who the current architect is, but this is an early concept MoDA did for this same site a few years back. We're sad that this one didn't get to progress any further! I guess given the current economy and surplus of commercial space drove the developer to consider residential.
4th Street Commercial - view 1 alt@0,5x.png

Attachments

• 4th Street Commercial - view 1 alt@0,5x.png
    4th Street Commercial - view 1 alt@0,5x.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 932
Not sure who the current architect is, but this is an early concept MoDA did for this same site a few years back. We're sad that this one didn't get to progress any further! I guess given the current economy and surplus of commercial space drove the developer to consider residential.
View attachment 153618

This is the concept I was hoping was still planned for the site but saw the new concept last week, sad that this concept isn't going ahead as this would have been so great for the area and really engaging and modern.

View attachment 153618

Was the developer ‘indevelopments’? Given their first crack, hard to believe. Land must of switched hands.

I remember that design. Was love at first sight.
View attachment 153618

View attachment 153618

Thanks for rubbing it in guys:( As a resident of this area, I am very sad your design didn't come to fruition.

This one could be passable if they redesigned for larger windows on the north and south sides. There’s fencing around site and now excavator so may start soon. I’m assuming these are rentals?

It’s not an excuse I use often but it will be a big upgrade to the peking dragon resto/surface parking that sits there now, looks terrible on a Main Street. I can’t stand retail with large surface parking area fronting major inner-city streets.

I disagree - this is one of Calgary's prime main streets. The developer is going cheap with the materials and is completely ignoring the context of the neighbourhood. A superior proposal of similar size to this and much better quality was just rejected by the Subdivision and Appeals Board for these very reasons. I hope the file manager pushes back on this before it gets to that point. They have really done a 180 since the original concept.

Someone brought up a good point a while back. Everything about this project is the same as the Kensington by Bucci. The same scale, and the same massing, but the two projects are so much different because of materials and few slight differences in design.

Really wish they just left this site alone and someone came in with a nice street pedestrian friendly podium and a 20-30 storey tower setback helping extend the skyline southwards, sort of like an artery towards downtown (somewhat like Yonge street):(.

Back