Votes: 3 2.0%
  • 4 So So

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • 5 Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 Terrible

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
I hope "Oxford Tower" comes back in a few years with a killer new design at about 300m tall.
That plot of land would be perfect for a very tall building to cap off the skyline, it's very centralized.

I don't think we will see anything near that height for some time, Edmonton will likely have a few taller towers than we do before we see anything here.

As was mentioned we are seeing a big shift to condos and mixed-use in tall forms, all of Toronto's recent 250+ buildings are condos/hotel and they often have smaller floor plates than office towers. I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar to Aura, Adelaide Hotel, etc. proposed

IMG_7452-3.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7452-3.jpg
    IMG_7452-3.jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 469
I'm down to see a monster skyscraper, but honestly I don't think it will ever happen here. It has to do with wasting too much floorspace on elevators, requiring footprints larger than our blocks allow, having too much nearby land that's underutilized.

If Calgary can produce a neighborhood with residential value at $1000/sqft in a market average of $800/sqft, then we might be able to justify a couple 80 story residential towers.

As for office demand, I'm just not sure the future will look like the past 30 years.

Anyway, I'd rather have the rest of those parking lots and utility corridors gobbled up.

There aren't many parcels of land right in the CBD that could support a supertall, so it makes it tough right off the get go. The Oxford Parcel could do it easily, but you're right, developers are only interested in getting the most for their money, in the most efficient way. Having larger floorplates and less elevators is part of it.
I'm down to see a monster skyscraper, but honestly I don't think it will ever happen here. It has to do with wasting too much floorspace on elevators, requiring footprints larger than our blocks allow, having too much nearby land that's underutilized.

If Calgary can produce a neighborhood with residential value at $1000/sqft in a market average of $800/sqft, then we might be able to justify a couple 80 story residential towers.

As for office demand, I'm just not sure the future will look like the past 30 years.

Anyway, I'd rather have the rest of those parking lots and utility corridors gobbled up.

One of the best angles I have seen is from Olympic Plaza / City Hall. There haven’t been too many pictures taken from there yet it seems.

I've yet to see this building in person. When complete I'll visit. I suspect the three dimensional binocular vision, in opposition to the two-dimensional photographic experience, will blow me away, especially when near and at ground level.

I've yet to see this building in person. When complete I'll visit. I suspect the three dimensional binocular vision, in opposition to the two-dimensional photographic experience, will blow me away, especially when near and at ground level.

It's definitely a really cool building, looks much larger in person imo.
Especially standing on 7th Ave near the courts centre and looking down the street, as shown in some earlier pictures. It towers over everything.

Back