Sunalta Heights | 88.39m | 27s | Housing One | S2 Architecture

EF2A0338-13F0-416B-82F7-0D073EE696A5.jpeg

Still can't believe a tower is going up on the Sunalta side. Never thought I'd see it happen.
the 14 Street rubicon has been crossed. Great to see!

Sunalta has always had the proximity and a few gems like Sentry Box but it's really starting to pull the pieces together in the past 10 years. LRT station, a few microbreweries and bunch of small scale infills to add to the larger towers now going in.

Most notably IMO, that 12 Ave cycletrack extension is truly a gamechanger; the first high quality cycling connection across 14 Street and connects to the Bow River pathway on the other end. It's tiny dollars compared to something like an LRT but makes a world of difference to tame 12 Ave and make the whole neighbourhood feel more integrated into the Beltline and greater inner city.

I'm pretty bullish on the future of Sunalta, I suspect in the not too distant future 10th Ave will have quite a few towers and once the city gets around to the main street upgrades on 10th I really this will become a really sweet little spot!
I'm feeling bullish on pretty much anything inner city these days. Two different people I work with are both looking into moving to an inner city neighborhood, moving from Legacy and Airdrie, the main driver being cost. Both have to come into downtown and pay 20 some odd bucks for parking, and quite a bit for gas to boot. I don't know how much it costs them for gas, but given they drive SUVs, I wouldn't be surprised if it was $10 per day.
Not to mention the time commuting. A few of us ride our bikes into work, and we're all between 10-20 minutes commute, with no gas or parking costs. I can't help but wonder how many others are looking at this scenario.

Tailgunner has great beer, haven't been to the brewery yet. Theres also another brewery opening on 14th called Best of Kin. These two breweries are going to be busy once all these developments are done!
Also Two House Brewery that's being built at the old Mikey's location (10 Ave & 18 Street SW, across from Sentry Box). I think they were forced to move from their old building where this tower is going up but didn't go far, just down the street.

I wonder if towers further south in Sunalta (ex. 12th Ave) would unleash NIMBY opposition from the residents of Scarboro? Regardless, Sunalta has plenty of opportunities to fill in vacant lots, replace old single family housing and replace low quality walkup apartments built between the 50's and early 80's

Back