Sunalta Heights | 88.39m | 27s | Housing One | S2 Architecture

Wow this intersection is going be completely transformed over the next few years. Major developments proposed for 3 corners of 14th street and 10th ave. Glad to see this area getting some attention. Its a pretty ugly corner right now. Not exactly a friendly welcome into the core.

Fabulous news that this one is going through. Very nice to hear!

Also, I think expanding the FFZ one station in all directions is a fantastic idea. This would be especially effective now that Bridgeland's retail node will be expanding down 9 Street toward the station, and with 17 Avenue punching into Stampede Park.

The FFZ should expand to Sunalta in the West, The Zoo in the NE, Elton in the South, and Sunnyside in the NW. Doing so would encourage people living in the core to venture around the inner city a bit more, it would absolutely help businesses in Kensington, Bridgeland, Sunalta and in the Beltline/17th Avenue. Even as it is a good portion of people travelling 1-2 stations outside of the core don't pay the fare anyways so I doubt it would make much of a difference.

It would also be useful bringing the residents of those areas like Bridgeland, Hillhurst/Sunnyside, Mission/Erlton, Sunalta/Scarboro/Bankview into the downtown for services as well as for crossing to other areas. I walk to Kerby station all the time in order to shorten travel to The Core, Stephen Ave, Library, City Hall, Saddledome, etc. I also use the FFZ often to get from Hillhurst to Inglewood.

Sure, walking from these areas into the core isn't that far, but it's the next layer of residents who will walk the distance to these stations that would use the FFZ to go beyond. It would make these areas feel more connected with easy flow between them.

With the current economic climate and few people working downtown we should be sacrificing a sliver of transit fare to benefit central businesses.

Back