Stephen Avenue Place Revitalization | 155m | 40s | Slate

Agreed. Of all the historical buildings old, mid century modern or 70's/80's brutalist that is probably my least favorite. It's not even really the design, it's the context + design. If that same podium was a standalone building I would like it much more, but its integration into a tall office building makes it just another lifeless office tower podium IMO. Changing the use by adding restaurants etc, would help, but to make it feel separate and not just an office tower podium, it needs a new design.

I like beton brut architecture, but I find it suits smaller, standalone purpose built buildings.
Agreed. Contextually this style doesn't work in this location. 4 Ave? sure. Stephen Ave? Vision glass and high-quality retail and patio, Vancouver-style.

Agreed. Of all the historical buildings old, mid century modern or 70's/80's brutalist that is probably my least favorite. It's not even really the design, it's the context + design. If that same podium was a standalone building I would like it much more, but its integration into a tall office building makes it just another lifeless office tower podium IMO. Changing the use by adding restaurants etc, would help, but to make it feel separate and not just an office tower podium, it needs a new design.

I like beton brut architecture, but I find it suits smaller, standalone purpose built buildings.
The podium does have a funky look to it, and yeah, as a standalone building would probably be pretty cool. I think the attachment to the office tower is what I've never liked as well.

My barber in the Scotia Plaza will be closing his business down for 12-18 months as renovations are underway. He was told that a restaurant/bar will be going in where Scotia bank used to be. I don't know whether that means they have a confirmed tenant, or whether they are still looking. All I know is, that space is very large and will take a food & beverage company with deep pockets to commit to it. There are still f&b places failing along 8th Ave, and plenty of existing competition for the business that there is.

My barber in the Scotia Plaza will be closing his business down for 12-18 months as renovations are underway. He was told that a restaurant/bar will be going in where Scotia bank used to be. I don't know whether that means they have a confirmed tenant, or whether they are still looking. All I know is, that space is very large and will take a food & beverage company with deep pockets to commit to it. There are still f&b places failing along 8th Ave, and plenty of existing competition for the business that there is.

Maybe National will expand into that space and somehow connect it to the rooftop patio? Their current interior space kind of sucks, and they're definitely big enough to fill that huge space. The only other bar that size I could think of is maybe Craft, Hudsons, or Schanks. However, with National already in the building, I'm sure they'd be quite upset if one of those guys moved in. They'd be wise to reconfigure the space so National could take the Scotia space and have a connection from there to the rooftop, then just get another smaller bar into National's current interior space.

I think whoever takes over that space is going to have to offer a different kind of experience to draw customers on a regular basis. There are already known drinking establishments like National, Local, Original Joes plus a few traditional pubs like The Unicorn & James Joyce within spitting distance. Chain restaurants like Earl's, Cactus Club and Milestones are also well represented. Maybe something like the Rainforest Cafe or Margaritaville, which was supposed to go into the Stampede entertainment district expansion.

I would diiieeee for Rainforest Cafe to come here! That would be so awesome.

I believe I remember reading somewhere that Oliver and Bonacini has already been tapped to develop the restaurant space where Scotiabank sat. They are the ones behind The Guild in The Bay. Who knows what they end up coming up with but expect something catering more to the downtown expense card crowd that what National brings to the table. I think National is at least keeping their top floor location and rooftop patio so there's still going to being something there for regular slobs like me.

My personal wish was for a sports bar à la Shark Club to take that space. Since Flames Central closed the downtown core/beltline doesn't really have any signature sports bars. Hopefully that changes with the Vic Park development and new arena but for now if you want to watch playoff hockey or basketball and you live downtown or in the beltline you are probably headed to BPs or just some random pub.

I mean, they're also in many other places, but yes I suppose like the one in MGM Vegas.

The food was bland and overpriced . It may have been the location. I haven't been to any others.

I went to the one in Niagara Falls a bunch as a kid. I suppose my feelings about it could be mostly nostalgia, but I'd definitely love to have a place like that here to bring my (future) kids there someday.

I don't believe it's affecting the mall. It's only the south side of the building. Some of the businesses on the southern side of the mall seem to have been boarded up, but they were just like jewellers and medical offices anyways. The actually mall part of it is staying the same. Hopefully a new escalator? I think the currently one has the record for skiniest escalator in the universe :p haha

Back