Uxborough Phase 1 | 45m | 14s | Western Securities | Gibbs Gage

Looks like the Stadium Shopping Centre development is finally moving forward...

"I would say that the economy in Calgary has been a bit of a challenge as well, but we believe we have a great location and a great site to build something even in a down market. So our intention is to just move forward regardless but with a bit of a different overall scale of the project," said Mike Bescia, vice president and partner of Western Securities.
Bescia says the company plans to apply for a building permit later this year that would allow for construction of the medical office building, a residential tower, retail shops and some other infrastructure.
He says the company is committed to the entire project, just not all at once.
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5271078?__twitter_impression=true

Looks like the Stadium Shopping Centre development is finally moving forward...

Great to see this project going ahead finally. I know they talk about it being a tough market, but I imagine it will fill up nicely due to its proximity to both the hospital and University. I hope the Vietnamese restaurant reopens in the new building, its one of my favourites in the area.

I like the blurb in the article about how University Heights residents were initially against this project, but have since come around once they realized all the new services that will come with the completion of this project.

Are there any permits in place for this site? can't remember it's been dragging on for so long...
There is a 2017 DP (revisions to the 2016 DP) that is still "under review", so likely by this stage Western Securities has not provided a response to a set of comments from the City:

Not a lot of info on their website:

20200803_123902.jpg

Demolition crews seem to have begun gutting some of the buildings on this site

Yes, I was there last week beginning to recover all remaining refrigerant from the Wendy’s and the Redwater or whatever it was. Both supposed to be coming down today or tomorrow I think. Will be continuing recovering all refrigerant from the remaining buildings for a little while.

anyone know if clearing the sight means construction will actually get started?
I am pretty sure that it reduces the property taxes that the owner pays if no structure is currently on the land. That is why developers usually yank down the buildings and leave dirt, well before they actually move forward with the project. I could be wrong however.🤷‍♂️

Back