Uxborough Phase 1 | 45m | 14s | Western Securities | Gibbs Gage

Here's a shot from AHS's Cancer Centre Webcam1 - which was pointed over at the Stadium site this morning.
Looks like they're working along the West side?
CCCgrab.png

Hmmm… the southwest side is one of the office components is it not? The hotel is on the corner/intersection.

I went past this site last might, and it looked like the drillers were over at the northwest end of the lot. Maybe more than one building at once?
Given some construction/tenant commitments would precede the pandemic, and the increased need for mixed-use/adaptable space, it may be financially advantageous to complete more than one use at a time. This would equate to more than one building. Though the site space is mixed-use, the buildings themselves, afaik, are relatively single use - save for CRU frontage on some. I would guess they would want revenue coming from multiple real-estate streams than to rely on a single use to float reserves.

That was certainly the initial design from about 10 years ago now. Not sure if that is still the case. A large shared parkade meant efficiencies in mixing of uses, resulting in less overall parking being provided if you were to look at each individual use separately. However, a parkade the size that they were proposing was/is a very expensive undertaking, not sure if that has been the source of the holdup or not. Not sure if the design has been revised either.

I feel like it would make sense. They could siphon off some parking revenue from the hospital by having an excess amount at this site if they set it at a decently lower cost. Would be a smart move in the long run, considering the hospital will only continue to expand in the long term.

Daily Commercial News: Calgary's $400-million UXBorough project overcomes geotechnical hurdles - constructconnect.com.
Apparently Phase 2 will begin before Phase 1 even finishes, so hopefully we're not stuck with surface parking forever!

Is the first phase both towers on the western side of the site then? I wonder what phase the hotel is (SE corner), as it’s a parking lot in those renders.

Back