Stadium Shopping Centre Hotel | 46m | 11s | Western Securities | MTA Architects

So I’m guessing the hotel isn’t going up at this point? This render shows the residential building on the right and medical office building on the left. 🤔

Looking at the overall rendering, it appears a lot of that parking will go away later on. Not sure if that's the hotel in the lower right hand corner of the rendering?

1631197827706.png

That’s an older render of the project, but looking at the render of the hotel earlier in this thread, the hotel does appear to be in the southeast corner. Observing the pedestrian bridge between it and the office building and the MAX station.

I liked that the pedestrian overpass had links to the street below and not just to the buildings. I just hope it is of ample width. The rendering makes it look narrow like the old pedestrian overpass between Chinook Mall and the Home Depot parking lot.

Higher Res Image

Looks like they'll be building a new pedestrian bridge across 16th.
View attachment 347468
Nothing like a daycare play space in a parking lot. Don't they know that could be parking!? It's like they've never heard of a pocket park. They've only existed for between 500-600 years.

Nothing like a daycare play space in a parking lot. Don't they know that could be parking!? It's like they've never heard of a pocket park. They've only existed for between 500-600 years.

The parking is temporary per the plan I believe. It will be replaced with more residential in Phase 2, along with a supermarket.

The parking is temporary per the plan I believe. It will be replaced with more residential in Phase 2, along with a supermarket.
The statement "replaced in phase 2" always scares me a little bit. Even in phase 2, that park or daycare place space being surrounded by the complex feeder loop just doesn't do it for me. I'm a champion of density, but too often these developments miss the mark. My frustration just comes from hundreds of years of building density and we (North America) are still figuring out how to do it.

To be fair, it's located in a community that (when this development was going for approval) swore up and down that the grass shoulder between the Wendy's drive thru and the traffic of 16th Ave was a widely-used and beloved community park, so a daycare play space in a parking lot is relatively a massive step up.

The statement "replaced in phase 2" always scares me a little bit. Even in phase 2, that park or daycare place space being surrounded by the complex feeder loop just doesn't do it for me. I'm a champion of density, but too often these developments miss the mark. My frustration just comes from hundreds of years of building density and we (North America) are still figuring out how to do it.
Unfortunately, nowadays, it seems like Calgary is one of the few cities left in Canada missing the mark on good urban design. We have some great development success stories. Redevelopment of Bridgeland and EV are great examples. However, after years of following our City development and planning, I've become a bit less optimistic of Calgary developing into a solid urban city in my lifetime. The good developments are happening too slow and are usually countered with bad developments.

The list of reasons for my pessimism are; most city councillors still can't seem to understand a TOD other than what the abbreviation stands for, designs with surface parking lots are still common for high dense use areas, a well designed midrise is allowed to be easily delayed for months because of a small minority of NIMYBYist but something like the horrifying podium of West Village Towers gets an easy pass, and "temporary use" really just means no new development for decades. I can add on to the list, but four years ago, I was optimistic that our future Councillors and Calgarians would support good urbanism, unanimously. I also thought an oil crash that led to a dead Core and a declining inner city population would wake us up. Four years later, we've made some progress but we're still flirting with the 80's while living in the 2020's. I hope I'm dead wrong. This development isn't atrociously designed like other plans we've seen, but when you throw in "phases" with temporary surface parking lots, I roll my eyes, thinking to myself, "where have I heard that before?"

Last edited:

Back