Sovereign | 40.54m | 14s | Avi Urban | GEC

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
A development permit has been submitted for a 149 unit 14 storey residential building located in Calgary's Mission neighborhood.

Image1.jpg

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 2,491
Last edited:
Another multi-storey project being put forward by a company normally known for the burbs. It must be a sign of the times... or something... it's gotta mean something right??

I'm happy to see projects like this coming to the crappy end of 17th. I look forward to seeing more detail. (Sorta off topic, but generally about the area, how far along has the Millstreet Brewpub come?)

They did Avi Urban just off of 17th ave, but it was wood construction, just like the burbs. I'm anxious to see what this looks like also.

Hi BKHa!

I'm a born, raised and life-long Calgarian. (Hopefully it will be a long life here too. :p) Since I was a kid, I loved to watch Calgary grow and change. It's one of the best parts of living here. Over time I've become a bit of an armchair architecture appreciator as well. Skyrise fits my interests. I used to be an active commenter on the National Post, but they switched from Disqus to a Facebook based system. I have no intention of ever going back to Facebook, 4 years clean this past March! So I was cast adrift. For better or worse, I tend to be a bit irrepressible so it was only a matter of time before I found some place new to chat. And here I am. I'm trying to make a good first impression. I hope I'm succeeding. :D

I was lurking here and at Skyscraper Page for some time. I tried joining at SSP once, but it didn't like my email address for some reason and I wasn't going to go through the trouble of setting up an email account I'd never use again just to post at some forum. Fate it seems is working out for the best as I quite like it here. Even though it's a bit quieter here in terms of activity it I find it to be more civil. I don't want to throw stones though, that's just what happens when you have an active an opinionated community. I hope our little forum continues to pick up speed.

How about you? What's the story.

EDIT: Sooooo many edits...

Last edited:
Raised mostly in Calgary, and found this site via Twitter. It's funny, you mention SSP. I had not heard of it, but have been on SSC (Skyscrapercity), which is very similar to SSP. I thought that were affiliated. I checked out SSP recently butit was a case of information overload, so many threads, but no place to find construction info in one spot. The general construction thread was a debate about prostitution and grow ops.

Glad you found this site Oddball. Your input is good. Not many people here but everyone's input is good. Way...way, way, better than SSC. The info for Calgary was really spotty.

Very nice to see more midrise along our main streets. Buyers are for the most part holding off because of economic uncertainty but i think we'll continue to see a lot of demand for and development of these types of urban intensification projects once things stabilize here - which is likely not too far.

Anyone hear any updates on this project?
The only issue I see is being right beside a bar, but that in itself isn't much of an issue.

Nearby nightlife options are a plus to most people nowadays. All of 17th/the Beltline/Mission are close to bars, if it was a significant problem, there wouldn't be much demand, but there is.

Back