• Terrible

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Torode's newest project, slated for the area where the Penguin Car Wash on 8th street is.

River's Edge.jpg

Picture0001 (1).jpg

Images courtesy of @H.E.Pennypacker

Attachments

• River's Edge.jpg
    River's Edge.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 3,359
  • Picture0001 (1).jpg
    Picture0001 (1).jpg
    113 KB · Views: 2,459
Also to become known as "Tracks Edge". I can only imagine what the sound of trains roaring by will be like to those living there.:eek::eek::eek: I live in a Beltline condo on 12 Ave that faces north and I can sometimes hear the trains ....3 blocks away.

I would agree. I would be interesting to see how it works with the pending Ramsay ARP rework, and the closing off of 8th Street. With
all the talk about the Victoria park Master-plan, it is a great location. What gets me is that on 9th Avenue we get "small on 9th", yet they have
the ability to design this, which is actually tolerable. But as they say " God is in the details". I do think the main entry is a little hidden. http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documents/calgary_planning_commission/agenda/2017/agenda-cpc-may 04.pdf

I would agree. I would be interesting to see how it works with the pending Ramsay ARP rework, and the closing off of 8th Street. With
all the talk about the Victoria park Master-plan, it is a great location. What gets me is that on 9th Avenue we get "small on 9th", yet they have
the ability to design this, which is actually tolerable. But as they say " God is in the details". I do think the main entry is a little hidden. http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documents/calgary_planning_commission/agenda/2017/agenda-cpc-may 04.pdf
Is this Beazly from Skyscraperpage?

How much difference does height make when it comes to noise? When I first moved to Calgary, I lived in Mount Royal House, behind the Palliser above Bottle Screw Bills. I was on the 18th floor, on top of the 7 storey parkade. I got used to the trains pretty quickly. Would it be easy to get used to when you are only up as high as 6 floors? I think the river/skyline views you will get from here would almost be worth putting up with the train noise.

When we first arrived in Calgary, we moved into the Orange Lofts in the East Village. We were facing south, with the trains rumbling by at slow speed. I'm not very knowledgeable about rail transport, at that location they can move at a fair clip too. Having said that, we got used to the noise over time. I don't think height makes much of a difference when it comes to noise. The noise factor Inglewood is facing are the train horns, which CP tends to blast in the vicinity of the brewery. But that is a whole other story.

When we first arrived in Calgary, we moved into the Orange Lofts in the East Village. We were facing south, with the trains rumbling by at slow speed. I'm not very knowledgeable about rail transport, at that location they can move at a fair clip too. Having said that, we got used to the noise over time. I don't think height makes much of a difference when it comes to noise. The noise factor Inglewood is facing are the train horns, which CP tends to blast in the vicinity of the brewery. But that is a whole other story.

Do the trains sound off the horn at the 8th street crossing?

At 8th, I think the main issue is shunting. When CP was doing track work a year or two ago, there was shunting the length of downtown into Sunalta, and that was loud. Just cruising through isn't bad, slow sucks.

My own experience is that proximity to the tracks doesn't tend to make much difference. I lived in Greenview which was fairly close to the tracks, when I was a kid, and would always here the trains going by. Never too loud, but you'd always hear them going by. Conversely, I have a friend who has a place in Invermere, that is literally right beside the tracks. The first time ever hearing the train was a bit of a shock as it's quite loud, but by the weekend, I wasn't even noticing the trains.

Back