Votes: 20 44.4%
  • So So

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It’s not just empty space right behind those walls, something on the hotel side probably one of the reasons that it’s off to the side a bit.

That utility building does complicate matters but, I don't see anything yet that indicates they have done more than the bare minimum. I hope I'm wrong.

Unfortunately, you are correct. The little interface there is is token at best.

IMG_1122.JPG
IMG_1123.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1122.JPG
    IMG_1122.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 662
  • IMG_1123.JPG
    IMG_1123.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 633
Both towers are better looking than the rendering. I thought I would hate the orange, but I'm liking it.

Isn’t it awful looking? Those funky glass panels look pretty good though. Haven’t been in the hotel side for a while but I can say that it is very difficult getting around inside the resi building due to all the electronic locks being locked. Pretty frustrating on top of the freaking maze of staircases in the place.

hope all these inner beltline towers attract enough bodies to infuse a little more street life, sure could use it.

Isn’t it awful looking? Those funky glass panels look pretty good though. Haven’t been in the hotel side for a while but I can say that it is very difficult getting around inside the resi building due to all the electronic locks being locked. Pretty frustrating on top of the freaking maze of staircases in the place.
Yeah, not the nicest looking sign, I don't think the font suits the building. I will be happy to see it open, and some more people roaming the area.

Yeah, not the nicest looking sign, I don't think the font suits the building. I will be happy to see it open, and some more people roaming the area.
I think what is often under-appreciated in the inner city's evolution is that the northern half (everything north of 12th Avenue) of the Beltline never really was a residential community. Even in the 1960s, there was only a few blocks that had residents at all, overtime even these were replaced with the warehouse / rail-based industrial and office (also parking lots) uses that we see today in the majority of the area.

Compare that to the tower boom of 2000s - present. Instead of a population of a few hundred at it's previous pre-1960s peak - thousands of units have been developed in this stretch. Arguably its only very recently that the scales are tipping and a population critical mass has been achieved north of 12th Ave (and even then only in a few areas) where the area can even be considered residential in nature at all. Exciting to see, but even with the rapidity of our density boom it takes a long time to transform an area from nearly zero population to one that is more vibrant.

Northern Beltline should act as a reality check on just how much growth and density is needed to transform an area's vibrancy, particularly when a community has a small or zero population base. It could take decades - even if we start today - for areas like University District, Chinook Centre and various TODs to truly act as a dense, vibrant and urban place despite our bold plans.

Last edited:
They actually looked pretty cool from inside last time I was in there too. Before they put the panels up to close them off from inside. Sucks that one panel isn't lighting properly. Looks like construction fence is all down now?

Back