PLATFORM | 21m | 6s | CMLC | Kasian

It could still look good if everyone involved stopped pretending parkades are "cool and innovative" looking and just put some creeping vines over the mesh to hide this thing. In reality it's just a really expensive normal parkade, built at a time of declining (and now collapsed) downtown parking demand. I am happy it has the innovation lab idea and if can be repurposed hypothetically one day, great - but such a costly and weak business case (IMO) wouldn't have survived had it been started in 2020 rather than 2017 or 2018.

I was just going to say that this Parkade is probably a good thing. It will hopefully allow other surface lots in the area to develop, especially the new entertainment district and east village. At some point all the lots will be developed so this might be the only parking structure capable of supporting all the parking needs. Cars aren’t going away and people will still drive.

I was just going to say that this Parkade is probably a good thing. It will hopefully allow other surface lots in the area to develop, especially the new entertainment district and east village. At some point all the lots will be developed so this might be the only parking structure capable of supporting all the parking needs. Cars aren’t going away and people will still drive.
Sort of defeats the purpose of building a parkade to be adapted to a different use in the future then, no? Especially at such a high cost?

Sort of defeats the purpose of building a parkade to be adapted to a different use in the future then, no? Especially at such a high cost?
I imagine the adaptation to a different use is envisioned for when self driving cars are the norm and (I assume they predict) we all just essentially share cars.

Yeah I don’t think they will be repurposing it. It was just a ploy to get the approval to build it lol.
There was always approval to build a parkade on that location, as part of the City's long term parking strategy. It was why they were restricting parking in every new office building going back decades. There was supposed to be another intercept parkade on 4th Avenue as well, but they aren't pursuing that one any longer (and have since removed the restriction to 50% maximum of bylaw). No, I don't know why CMLC/The city decided to pay a lot more money for a parkade than necessary, other than for some press I suppose.

1595858608763.jpeg

1595858642214.jpeg

There was always approval to build a parkade on that location, as part of the City's long term parking strategy. It was why they were restricting parking in every new office building going back decades. There was supposed to be another intercept parkade on 4th Avenue as well, but they aren't pursuing that one any longer (and have since removed the restriction to 50% maximum of bylaw). No, I don't know why CMLC/The city decided to pay a lot more money for a parkade than necessary, other than for some press I suppose.
Would have been a nasty fight at council I think. Plus, it isn't rate payer money, so using money to solve political problems is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . The city cannot use the cash in lieu money for non parking purposes, if the city decided to stop building city structured parking, they would likely have to give the money back. So if you want to limit parking, build the most expensive parking you can on a lot that will be hard to use for anything else.

Ugh... But at least we get a new tower where the Salvation Army building is?.

Lol since when? Those vision towers are on the other side of the street from the Salvation Army building.

Back