PLATFORM | 21m | 6s | CMLC | Kasian

It is also to fulfill the City's obligation of providing parking with the money it has collected over the years through their Cash-in-lieu program, which restricted the amount of parking new office towers were able to provide.

15454173446068222679563717421053.jpg

Each diagram that is released reminds me I can't help but question whether $80million could have bought more parking capacity (through updating tech/removing barriers in existing private garages nearby that are not used to capacity) and more innovation hub space had it been done separately. Granted - much of the cost was to future-proof the structure to some extent so its not throw-away money - but its really hard to justify more parking in our over-parked core in 2019 (assuming we want to hit our other city building goals of sustainability, walkability etc.)

I'm not sure about the adaptive re-use either. I like that they were thinking outside the box, but how practical will it be in the end? If they had have built it with flat levels and angled ramps connecting floors, it would be more practical IMO. You could then use it for almost anything.
^ I don't see much potential for adaptive reuse with the slope of the floors. With 3 m floor height maybe could do an urban farmers market type thing with room for services? Artist studios higher up? Maybe apartments?

I know many people are dissapointed with the price and utility of this project but honestly it's a good thing at least something is being built there at all. Also, the design is relatively interesting so that's also a plus.

I'm not sure about the adaptive re-use either. I like that they were thinking outside the box, but how practical will it be in the end? If they had have built it with flat levels and angled ramps connecting floors, it would be more practical IMO. You could then use it for almost anything.
IIRC, the reusable parts are the elevator cores and end flat parts. The idea would be to take out everything above the "platform" in the middle and build up a new podium and towers on either end at some point. Cool idea, but will be difficult to say that it couldn't have been done easier or more reusable in another format (e.g. to your points on including sloped floors etc.)

Awful. Went from a cool building dropped out of 1960’s Seattle World’s Fair to generic concrete slab structure with chicken wire feel covering.

What’s with the sign now? Behind the curve and off center?

Reminds me of a parkade in downtown Regina we used when we were kids. Bare bones and basic with chicken wire that was entirely rusted and the concrete you could see through the wire from the street was filthy, streaked and stained from years of oil and snow melt runoff. From inside the full height wire made no sense as there has to be a guardrail concrete barrier to keep vehicles from driving off the edge anyway. My thought, even at 7 years old, was I know Regina is a hard life but they really have to keep people from finding high places to jump to their own death?

Back