Place 10 | ?m | 47s | Centron | Gibbs Gage

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
How much noise from the trains do buildings along the tracks get? I lived in Bromley Square (not sure what it's called now) when I first moved out of my parents place many years ago, and even on the south side of the building there was constant noise from the trains at night.

Stephen Ave

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was once told the closer you are to the tracks the better if you’re high up.
I used to have a friend that lived in Mount Royal House Apartments right by Bromley and right beside the train tracks. She was on the 29th floor, and I don’t remember much noise. Might be different if she was on the 9th floor.
How much noise from the trains do buildings along the tracks get? I lived in Bromley Square (not sure what it's called now) when I first moved out of my parents place many years ago, and even on the south side of the building there was constant noise from the trains at night.

JonnyCanuck

Member Bio
Reaction score
I live two blocks south of the tracks in the Beltline. I can hear them though far enough away that the noise is not disturbing. I would imagine that living right next to the tracks and the noise being amplified between all of the tall buildings, will be an issue. The trains are not occasional. They are pretty steady all hours of the day and night..

maestro

Member Bio
Reaction score
Expect a crane within about a month.
The design on the previous page is just brutal and your news increases the odds that it is the design. I have mixed feeling over street retail and increased population density in a tall development devoid of any design quality.

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
I lived in Mount Royal House for two years when I first moved to Calgary on the 18th floor (so, 25th floor if you count the parkade). It was bad when it was cold out, and the train would take up slack. That would shake the paintings (okay, posters, I was young, but they were in the finest of plastic frames...) on my wall. But, you surprisingly got used to it pretty quickly.

Rollerstud98

Member Bio
Reaction score
While working at the Marriott across the street I seem to recall at times while on ground level outside not being able to carry on a conversation due to the train just taking off.

ByeByeBaby

Member Bio
Reaction score
The train noise is also worse as you go east; in the western half of the Beltline, the trains are mostly just rolling in and out, while on the east end (say 3rd st and east), they're shunting, starting and stopping, so you get the screech and the crash-crash-crash-crash as every car in the train hits the coupler.

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
I remember hearing the trains shunting one night and I thought a bomb went off, scared me right out of bed lol. That's the noise I'm curious about, the sound of the trains rolling is a steady rumble, so it's easy to get used to (I hear them in Parkdale still).

maestro

Member Bio
Reaction score
Life in a city. It's the random celebration or emergency siren than the consistency of thundering trains people will struggle to block out.

Rollerstud98

Member Bio
Reaction score
We did work at the marriott across the street, when at ground level trains could be extremely loud. I don’t remember hearing them when I side the building though. If sitting out on a balcony yes you will hear them or if windows/doors open yes.

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
Can't wait to see the finalized design. I'm not like super hopeful, but it's an enormous project so it's still pretty exciting. Even something very basic will actually work pretty well as far as connecting the core and Beltline skylines.