Oliver | 121.3m | 35s | Centron | Gibbs Gage

How much noise from the trains do buildings along the tracks get? I lived in Bromley Square (not sure what it's called now) when I first moved out of my parents place many years ago, and even on the south side of the building there was constant noise from the trains at night.
I lived in Mount Royal House for two years when I first moved to Calgary on the 18th floor (so, 25th floor if you count the parkade). It was bad when it was cold out, and the train would take up slack. That would shake the paintings (okay, posters, I was young, but they were in the finest of plastic frames...) on my wall. But, you surprisingly got used to it pretty quickly.

How much noise from the trains do buildings along the tracks get? I lived in Bromley Square (not sure what it's called now) when I first moved out of my parents place many years ago, and even on the south side of the building there was constant noise from the trains at night.

The train noise is also worse as you go east; in the western half of the Beltline, the trains are mostly just rolling in and out, while on the east end (say 3rd st and east), they're shunting, starting and stopping, so you get the screech and the crash-crash-crash-crash as every car in the train hits the coupler.

I remember hearing the trains shunting one night and I thought a bomb went off, scared me right out of bed lol. That's the noise I'm curious about, the sound of the trains rolling is a steady rumble, so it's easy to get used to (I hear them in Parkdale still).

Life in a city. It's the random celebration or emergency siren than the consistency of thundering trains people will struggle to block out.

We did work at the marriott across the street, when at ground level trains could be extremely loud. I don’t remember hearing them when I side the building though. If sitting out on a balcony yes you will hear them or if windows/doors open yes.

Can't wait to see the finalized design. I'm not like super hopeful, but it's an enormous project so it's still pretty exciting. Even something very basic will actually work pretty well as far as connecting the core and Beltline skylines.

The preliminary design was a bore. What is there to be excited about until we see the final design? People gravitate to interesting places. There is nothing interesting about this Rexall of developments Population is a reason the commercial core empties out quickly after work but, it isn't the only one. I hope the finalized design is a more interesting design with a better mix of uses and spaces.

True people do gravitate to interesting places, but the main reason the commercial core empties out after work is the people who work there don't live there. That and there aren't many business open after hours.

It might be a boring building, but it's sitting right along the train tracks, so I'm not expect an architectural marvel here, and those 850 units helps put people in the core. I'm happy to see this going ahead.

Exactly, our core lacks enough people to support businesses after work hours. I’d be happy with a decent setback podium with basic retail. Plus if you need interesting things to do then Stephen ave and the Core shopping centre is just a 2 blocks away.

Back