Votes: 19 40.4%
  • So So

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It's been proposed for years. They applied for their development permit back in 2013. Can't find a render for it anywhere anymore though.

From what I remember, it's pretty...meh. Better than an empty lot though.

Yes it's extremely meh, but it's another 100 meter tall, 300 ish room hotel along the railway tracks. Another half block of surface parking gone replaced with an active hotel lobby and hotel restaurant at least, perhaps more. Sutton Place is giving Winnipeg a nicer looking hotel, all blue glass but still with the standard Sutton Place form, so I will hold out hope that by the time this one resurfaces, it will be redesigned to match our hightening standards here in Calgary. Even if it doesn't though, at least it's more parking gone along the rails.

2016 Dec 3 059.JPG
2016 Dec 3 065.JPG
2016 Dec 3 066.JPG
2016 Dec 3 068.JPG

Attachments

• 2016 Dec 3 059.JPG
    2016 Dec 3 059.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 349
  • 2016 Dec 3 065.JPG
    2016 Dec 3 065.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 358
  • 2016 Dec 3 066.JPG
    2016 Dec 3 066.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 351
  • 2016 Dec 3 068.JPG
    2016 Dec 3 068.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 392
Starting to rise! Woohoo! Loving all this action.

Me too. I can't wait to see this and The Royal hit into the skyline. A whole new look for the Beltine.

Yes it's extremely meh, but it's another 100 meter tall, 300 ish room hotel along the railway tracks. Another half block of surface parking gone replaced with an active hotel lobby and hotel restaurant at least, perhaps more. Sutton Place is giving Winnipeg a nicer looking hotel, all blue glass but still with the standard Sutton Place form, so I will hold out hope that by the time this one resurfaces, it will be redesigned to match our hightening standards here in Calgary. Even if it doesn't though, at least it's more parking gone along the rails.
Since we haven't heard anything from Sutton Place lately, I'm hoping they went back to the drawing board for something better. I looked around for the old rendering, but couldn't find it. I only remember it as being disappointing.

Well they still have their DP submitted but not released. So we'll see what happens! I wouldn't mind another big hotel in the Beltline ;)

One thing about these kinds of developments is they tend to come out of the woodwork quickly. No advertising or fanfare...just a groundbreaking. I would probably be happy even with the old boring design, just because those parking lots are so awful.

One thing about these kinds of developments is they tend to come out of the woodwork quickly. No advertising or fanfare...just a groundbreaking. I would probably be happy even with the old boring design, just because those parking lots are so awful.

Yeah man, that's what I'm saying! You're totally right too, Marriott Residence Inn started without any fanfare even though it's the largest Marriott Residence Inn in North America. It would be great to see the Sutton Place go ahead even just for the sake of the Stampede so our inner city hotels will eventually not be so over burdened.

When it rains it pours. Not new downtown hotels fore a while, and now two in EV, the Marriott Residence and the new Marriott on 5th ave, and possibly a Sutton Place!

Back