Park Central | 134m | 39s | Hines | S.C.B.

General rating of the project

• Great

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Very Good

Votes: 52 55.3%
  • Good

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • So So

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
I think 4th is an ideal candidate for 1-way to 2-way conversion north of 12th Avenue.
  • Drivers don't have to give up anything, 2-way conversion is a free lunch - it currently is impossible to use the capacity created from the 1-way as their isn't enough input lanes to create 4 lanes of demand northbound at 10th Avenue (5 lanes northbound in some areas around 8th Avenue). Probably in my "Top 3" of example of how our insane road design choices were arbitrarily applied and never revisited in the decades since despite no evidence of traffic demand ever requiring such a design.
  • The mighty Route 3 does an unneeded jog to 5th jog over to 5th Street and back as a result. Keep the mainline bus route on the main street like all other major cities do with main streets. Will improve travel times and route consistency.
  • North of 12th Avenue sidewalks get rocky - random narrowing from weird bus turn outs and extra wide outside lanes, extra lanes for turns for some reason, same old story - two-way to a 4 lane standard with no turning lanes would allow for more consistent sidewalks

Not only that, but the block of 4th St between 11th and 10th Ave has the easternmost lane closed to cars to allow for patio space at Rodney's Oyster House, then the block between 10th and 8th Ave (it passes under 9th of course) has the westernmost lane closed to cars to allow for patio space at Barcelona Tavern. Given that you can't cross the middle lanes in the underpass, it's already effectively a two-lane northbound road, has been for a little while and I don't recall hearing that the universe has ended.

I think 4th is an ideal candidate for 1-way to 2-way conversion north of 12th Avenue.
  • Drivers don't have to give up anything, 2-way conversion is a free lunch - it currently is impossible to use the capacity created from the 1-way as their isn't enough input lanes to create 4 lanes of demand northbound at 10th Avenue (5 lanes northbound in some areas around 8th Avenue). Probably in my "Top 3" of example of how our insane road design choices were arbitrarily applied and never revisited in the decades since despite no evidence of traffic demand ever requiring such a design.
  • The mighty Route 3 does an unneeded jog to 5th jog over to 5th Street and back as a result. Keep the mainline bus route on the main street like all other major cities do with main streets. Will improve travel times and route consistency.
  • North of 12th Avenue sidewalks get rocky - random narrowing from weird bus turn outs and extra wide outside lanes, extra lanes for turns for some reason, same old story - two-way to a 4 lane standard with no turning lanes would allow for more consistent sidewalks
I don't know what happened to this project, but Council approved bus only lanes on 4th street 7 years ago....

I don't know what happened to this project, but Council approved bus only lanes on 4th street 7 years ago....
Yeah I was wondering about that. It's probably where I got my idea from. Obvious win, studied by the City, approved by Council and ..... project ends up in some weird non-publicly transparent Schrödinger's box where it's neither alive nor dead, cancelled or scheduled. Lots of the city centre projects seem to have this vibe. I assume the culprit is plans get approved but funding never follows.

Exciting to hear prep work is already starting. Very cool.

Utility work in preparation for the construction of Two Park Central…

137C45A1-597E-453A-B1DF-B9CE72B01B8D.jpeg

Does Calgary actually have any streets where people can go clothes shopping? Or are you always forced to go to the mall? In other cities, there are entire neighbourhoods that draw people to go clothes shopping.
Yeah, Stephen Ave, 17th and Inglewood have clothing stores but we could definitely use more

Yeah, Stephen Ave, 17th and Inglewood have clothing stores but we could definitely use more
They're definitely few and far between on those streets. When I was a teenager in Toronto, I loved to go down to Kensington Ave and spend the entire afternoon on a single block checking out all the vintage clothing stores. Too bad Calgary didn't have a wave of American hippy draft dodgers show up in the 1960s to establish places like that. Anyway, this conversation would be better left to the retail thread.

They're definitely few and far between on those streets. When I was a teenager in Toronto, I loved to go down to Kensington Ave and spend the entire afternoon on a single block checking out all the vintage clothing stores. Too bad Calgary didn't have a wave of American hippy draft dodgers show up in the 1960s to establish places like that. Anyway, this conversation would be better left to the retail thread.
There's a good dozen boutique clothing stores in a three block stretch in Inglewood. Time to get out and relive your teenage years

Fourth Street and Kensington can also be added to that list.

Regardless, in short, malls not required.

Back