Park Central | 134m | 39s | Hines | S.C.B.

General rating of the project

• Great

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Very Good

Votes: 51 54.8%
  • Good

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • So So

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
I really like the massing for this project. Worked out really well. Also the material palate works quite nicely, (ie not too many differing materials). One thing I noticed is that the vertical privacy screens on the balconies might have been VE'd out. Thats too bad, as they articulated the facades quite nicely.

I really like the tower materials, but I'm a bit unsure of the podium treatment. Looks a little utilitarian, like cinder block... thoughts?

I really like the tower materials, but I'm a bit unsure of the podium treatment. Looks a little utilitarian, like cinder block... thoughts?
I like both tower and podium, the wood paneling though artificial gives a nice warmth to the area. I'm not sure about the cinder block either, but I'm guessing it'll be painted maybe?

Hi,
If I am Correct this Project is On the Corner of 12th Ave and 4th St S W. There
are TWO Bldgs to go up.The other One will B at 11th ave/4th St S W.I am Hoping
that Both Towers Get Built even if It Take a While Tnx..

The second build on 11 Ave will depend on demand and occupancy of the first 460 suites. Second build is supposed to be a replication of the first build.

No active permit for it, but an older rendering shows the two towers.

008a.jpg

View attachment 234076

This building looks crazy expensive. I can't believe they want $1300/mo for 363sq ft.

I have a tour of some units in a couple days, I'll try to take some pictures of the interior.
If they have in-suite laundry I can believe it. Calgary's purpose built inner city rental world is split by two dynamics: 1 bedroom v. 2 bedroom, pre-1990s amenities v. 2005+ amenities. There is almost nothing in between available to rent.

For 1 BR or Studios the floor in the centre city is typically ~$800-850/month for the worst basement suites that are in terrible shape. Even good quality but not renovated 1 BR apartments you are in the $1000 - $1200 range. Calgary's lack of apartments means we have a very limited number of old studio apartments compared to other Canadian cities, so we also have a lack of range of prices as well. New build, new appliances and in-suite laundry and the going rate is going to be much higher such as this building.

1BR also are at a premium premium in Calgary v. 2 BR. The floor for pre-1990s 2BR with no in suite laundry or upgrades is around $1,100 - $1,300 / month in the area, not far off the price of a 1BR. Partly this has to do with supply, lots more old buildings built 2BR so there lots out there to hold prices reasonable.

Starting in 2005 when towers started being built again, most (all?) from 2005 to 2015 were private condos, typically built to higher quality and amenities that justified a price premium over the older 1 BR to 2 BR. Even today the oldest buildings of that era are starting at $1,400 - $1,600 for a small 1 BR but modern finishes. 2 BR of this era starts at $1,600 - $1,800 / month. These modern purpose-built rentals are of that vintage and charge the premium due to their quality and amenities.

The result of this dynamic is as a renter in Calgary's centre city you tend to have a very stark choice between cheap, plain, and old or expensive, shiny and new. Lots of exceptions of course, but just speaking in generalities as a renter for the past 12 years in the area.

If they have in-suite laundry I can believe it. Calgary's purpose built inner city rental world is split by two dynamics: 1 bedroom v. 2 bedroom, pre-1990s amenities v. 2005+ amenities. There is almost nothing in between available to rent.

For 1 BR or Studios the floor in the centre city is typically ~$800-850/month for the worst basement suites that are in terrible shape. Even good quality but not renovated 1 BR apartments you are in the $1000 - $1200 range. Calgary's lack of apartments means we have a very limited number of old studio apartments compared to other Canadian cities, so we also have a lack of range of prices as well. New build, new appliances and in-suite laundry and the going rate is going to be much higher such as this building.

1BR also are at a premium premium in Calgary v. 2 BR. The floor for pre-1990s 2BR with no in suite laundry or upgrades is around $1,100 - $1,300 / month in the area, not far off the price of a 1BR. Partly this has to do with supply, lots more old buildings built 2BR so there lots out there to hold prices reasonable.

Starting in 2005 when towers started being built again, most (all?) from 2005 to 2015 were private condos, typically built to higher quality and amenities that justified a price premium over the older 1 BR to 2 BR. Even today the oldest buildings of that era are starting at $1,400 - $1,600 for a small 1 BR but modern finishes. 2 BR of this era starts at $1,600 - $1,800 / month. These modern purpose-built rentals are of that vintage and charge the premium due to their quality and amenities.

The result of this dynamic is as a renter in Calgary's centre city you tend to have a very stark choice between cheap, plain, and old or expensive, shiny and new. Lots of exceptions of course, but just speaking in generalities as a renter for the past 12 years in the area.

I'm well aware of the price difference between old and new builds in beltline. I'm currently in SODO and paying $1660/mo for 630sq ft. It looks like I could expect ~100sq ft less in this build. Underwood is also a few blocks away from Park Central and that starts at $1500 for a 500 sq ft 1 bedroom.

I believe that amenities and age of the buildings should make the prices very similar, but Park Central seems to be the most expensive by a fair bit. I'm curious to see how the units compare.

View attachment 234076

This building looks crazy expensive. I can't believe they want $1300/mo for 363sq ft.

I have a tour of some units in a couple days, I'll try to take some pictures of the interior.

Lmao! They want twice what I pay for what is essentially an identical location and identical unit size. What a bunch of boobs.

For reference, I'm on the third floor, studio, 4 Street and 20 Ave SW, $695/mo all utilities included. However, to be fair it is a very old building and no in-suite laundry, I use a laundromat actually. But for half the price, the hilarity of those prices at this building still holds up. #studentlife

I hate the trend of these 300-500+ Sq ft boxes. I'd get if they were priced accordingly, but they are not. There really is no reason to justify the prices nor the development, this isnt NYC.

I live fairly close to this building and I'm paying half of 2250 for 1200sf in a newish build (2016).

Seems overpriced for sure.

Back