Oxford Tower | 262.12m | 62s | Oxford Properties

Lucky(ish) for all of us, it'll take a generation (if ever) to require new buildings of this scale again. We can double our population while building nothing and still be comparable to Toronto in office square feet per person. Small scale or innovative designs are definitely possible, but the age of big-floor corporate towers in Calgary is over.
Agreed.... I like that we have a skyline with some tall office towers, but we don't need more - unless it's something special. I would also be totally okay with more of the smaller office buildings like the Kahanoff expansion, where they have mixed uses and offer something to the public realm.

I’d still like to see more tall buildings going up in our core including a 300m tower, just not an office tower. And you never know, if in this decade our economy picks up you might just see one being built. Calgary’s always known to do big things for a city of its size.

It's going to be at least a decade before any major office developments get built in the core. Calgary's business sector will need a complete overhaul if it ever wants to get back down to the 2-4% vacancy rate that it needs to get stuff like this built. That or another war in the Middle East to drive their prices back to $100 per barrel.

Companies and developers are being burned for living excessively during the boom years. That could linger once oil reaches $100 a barrel again.

Even if we do get $150/barrel back tomorrow, no one will want to build out pure office projects long term. The market has proven out that mixed use rides out long term economic cycles way better to generate a consistent return, and that's what all of these developers (Pension fund and bank backed) are really in it for.

This site is in an attractive location, and I do hope it eventually houses the new tallest in the city. I would take bets that it will be office/hotel/Condo mix.

I agree. I don't know if we'll ever seen another large office only tower get built. Any taller buildings going forward will likely be mixed use. It actually makes lots of sense.
Even if we do get $150/barrel back tomorrow, no one will want to build out pure office projects long term. The market has proven out that mixed use rides out long term economic cycles way better to generate a consistent return, and that's what all of these developers (Pension fund and bank backed) are really in it for.

This site is in an attractive location, and I do hope it eventually houses the new tallest in the city. I would take bets that it will be office/hotel/Condo mix.

Reactions: AJX
We haven't seen the last office tower built in Calgary. It may take 20 years and I think Oxford will wait. They are in no rush to develop low yield residential on this prime site.

Hi,
Oxford Isn't saying much for the Time Being. What Ever is Being Talked About - if Anything is Being Kept Hush
Hush for Now. At 62 Floors there is Lots of Room for the Possibility of Two Companies and the Chance a 3rd
Company to Go into a Complex that Height. Lead Company? Anyone's Guess.I Would have to Assume Oxford
would B a Lead Company Considering They have Their Offices in the Dome Tower for Now if I an Correct. By Going in Now, sends a Signal to the Business Community that Calgary is Open to
Commercial Activity and that Its What? Good on the Over All? My Guess? Yes. Just My Honest View.
Tnx, Operater..

Hi,
Oxford Isn't saying much for the Time Being. What Ever is Being Talked About - if Anything is Being Kept Hush
Hush for Now. At 62 Floors there is Lots of Room for the Possibility of Two Companies and the Chance a 3rd
Company to Go into a Complex that Height. Lead Company? Anyone's Guess.I Would have to Assume Oxford
would B a Lead Company Considering They have Their Offices in the Dome Tower for Now if I an Correct. By Going in Now, sends a Signal to the Business Community that Calgary is Open to
Commercial Activity and that Its What? Good on the Over All? My Guess? Yes. Just My Honest View.
Tnx, Operater..

The project is indefinitely on hold because of the 24% vacancy rate. The last thing this city needs is a fucking 2.5 million square feet office tower

Back