Oxford Tower | 262.12m | 62s | Oxford Properties

Suncor is looking for a new building and has several developers courting them. It will take 6-8 years to get this through the planning and construction stages and we could (hopefully) be in a very different place by then.
For real ??

For real ??
It's entirely possible that if a company want s large contiguous space and nothing is available that works for them that a new office tower could be built. From an economic point of view it would be far cheaper to have the employees in separate buildings, companies generally don't like that.

It's entirely possible that if a company want s large contiguous space and nothing is available that works for them that a new office tower could be built. From an economic point of view it would be far cheaper to have the employees in separate buildings, companies generally don't like that.
It may be possible but why would developers 'build to order' in Calgary any more? All of these buildings that used to have large anchor tenants and now look at all the vacant space.
For example, The Bow was built for Encana and Cenovus by H&R Developments. Encana still has some space there but has more or less, left the country. I think Cenovus is at a different address now.
I can't imagine a developer taking a chance like that in the future.

Cenovus/Encana is still paying rent at the Bow and will do so for the next 15+ years, as they are contractually obligated. Sure, they sublet a lot of the space to other tenants, but the landlord still gets his money.

It may be possible but why would developers 'build to order' in Calgary any more? All of these buildings that used to have large anchor tenants and now look at all the vacant space.
For example, The Bow was built for Encana and Cenovus by H&R Developments. Encana still has some space there but has more or less, left the country. I think Cenovus is at a different address now.
I can't imagine a developer taking a chance like that in the future.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting Suncor to pull the trigger on a new office tower, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities. If they are looking for a large new space, that's a newer generation building they won't find any. Cenovus is still at Brookfield Place and are currently adding people from Husky. There's space at the Bow, but not enough for Suncor. Western Canada Place, like Nexen could potentially become empty, but it's an older building and still might not be enough space. It wouldn't be the first time a large office building was built when there was lots of vacancy....but yes, building a new tower seems unlikely. I guess it depends on what Suncor is looking for and why they want to move. If Suncor was my company I'd be moving sticking with older buildings, even it meant being in more than one building. It would be so much more cost effective.

I'm not interested in seeing a new office tower unless it's mixed use, or a new tallest.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting Suncor to pull the trigger on a new office tower, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities. If they are looking for a large new space, that's a newer generation building they won't find any. Cenovus is still at Brookfield Place and are currently adding people from Husky. There's space at the Bow, but not enough for Suncor. Western Canada Place, like Nexen could potentially become empty, but it's an older building and still might not be enough space. It wouldn't be the first time a large office building was built when there was lots of vacancy....but yes, building a new tower seems unlikely. I guess it depends on what Suncor is looking for and why they want to move. If Suncor was my company I'd be moving sticking with older buildings, even it meant being in more than one building. It would be so much more cost effective.
Agreed. Nexen IMHO.

I'm not interested in seeing a new office tower unless it's mixed use, or a new tallest.

So what you're saying is....Suncor will build a super tall, smack dab in the middle of downtown. Best news I heard all day!

So what you're saying is....Suncor will build a super tall, smack dab in the middle of downtown. Best news I heard all day!
If Suncor was to build a supertall in the middle of downtown I'd be okay with that. I'm not holding my breath though. They don't strike me as a company who'd be involved in a mixed use tower, but maybe they'd settle for a 60 storey tower with a spire.

I suppose because of downtown/centralized logistics that they would want to be in a skyscaper downtown, but you figure they may also consider a campus approach like Imperial Oil/Shaw have within the city.

I suppose because of downtown/centralized logistics that they would want to be in a skyscaper downtown, but you figure they may also consider a campus approach like Imperial Oil/Shaw have within the city.
I doubt it. Only reason why folks didn't leave IOL en masse when they moved to Quarry Park was it coincided with the 2014 downturn.

I'm with Surrealplaces. I don't want anymore office towers unless it's something special, or at least average looking but mixed use.

I doubt it. Only reason why folks didn't leave IOL en masse when they moved to Quarry Park was it coincided with the 2014 downturn.
I had heard that IOL had looked at Brookfield Place originally but the folks out of Houston put pressure on them to move to a campus.

Back