Nest | 40.23m | 15s | Cairo Development | Casola Koppe

Superhighway ?

Yeah, that's what I was stuck on. It's not even close to a highway, let alone superhighway. I get that it's a wide and unpleasant road, but that hyperbole is a lot even for me, and I usually love me some hyperbole :p

Especially that location, just have to cross 18th ave and walk half a block north to get to a controlled crosswalk‍. With a bus stop in the middle too

I agree with @1875. Technically it isn't a superhighway, but it might was well be given the context. It's not only about crossing the road, it's also about the ambiance. When you're living in that building next a 6 lane road it's going to sound and feel like you're living beside a freeway. The road only needs to be a 6 lane one way for rush hour traffic. IMO, the city can do better.

Regarding the hyperbole, hyperbole is part and parcel for any internet forum ;)

Hi,
To Me - 1st St S.E. is Part of MacLeod Trail. Always will B. I know from Experience as I have to get across at 58/the Mac, Where I NOW live. Due to Medical.
it takes Me 2 Sets of Lights to Get Across 6 Lanes. Kind of Used to It, but Every now & then Some one Helps Me Out. Never was a Problem till 4 Yrs Ago
when I got Sick. Now I Know etc. Guess You could say I Adjusted to Medical Conditions. Yes It Gets to Me at Times but I won't Let 6/8 or Any Other Widths
Hold Me Back. For Me Crossing a Buisy Road is as Safe as You Make It. Just My Experience.

Tnx,
Operater.

Hi,
To Me - 1st St S.E. is Part of MacLeod Trail. Always will B. I know from Experience as I have to get across at 58/the Mac, Where I NOW live. Due to Medical.
it takes Me 2 Sets of Lights to Get Across 6 Lanes. Kind of Used to It, but Every now & then Some one Helps Me Out. Never was a Problem till 4 Yrs Ago
when I got Sick. Now I Know etc. Guess You could say I Adjusted to Medical Conditions. Yes It Gets to Me at Times but I won't Let 6/8 or Any Other Widths
Hold Me Back. For Me Crossing a Buisy Road is as Safe as You Make It. Just My Experience.

Tnx,
Operater.

I am sorry, that is a frustrating situation, good to see you are in good spirits. To be fair this is a good example of how Calgary fails pedestrians in many locations, especially those with mobility issues. We should do a better job at making it safer for everyone to cross Macleod Trail or just about anywhere in the City, especially at a location with medical offices and apartments nearby.

Hi Again,

Up to 4 yrs Ago, I was Doing OK etc, in the Late Summer, Friends and a Roomate Started Telling Me I was "Loosing Weight" Better get a Check Up etc.
Went to C M L and a Week Later found out I a Diabetic (Type 2) and Loosing Weight Pretty Quick. Quite the Shock. Its Been a ROUGH 4 Yrs but Its
Been a Learning Experience as the Same Time, I was Lucky that the Trinity Foundation and the Calgary Place by 11/Centre that Helps Out the Homeless
Went to Bat for Me and Got. Me onto Blue Cross etc. as I See it Now, Weather its Cancer, Aids Hepititis, Diabetic etc a Little Help Goes a Long Way.
Going From a Normal Life to EXTREMELY ILL WAS A Big Adjustment for Me. Yes Places Like MacLeod Trail is a Challenge for Me but I Make do the Best
I Can and even if it gets a Bit Hectic I feel I am Doing OK. I Appreciate the Cops Who are There for Me, Those Who Stop and Walk me Across the Lights
and Having the Ability to Make It. For Me Its Important. If You See Me at the Lights at 58/MacLeod Roll Down the Window Say Hi

Enjoy.
operater.

was by here today, two things struck me, one id never want to live on a (one way) superhighway and two the lot is super small

View attachment 157615

View attachment 157616
Huh I was wondering what happened to that shisha bar since I visited calgary this summer and went to the highschool beside there. Feels sort of strange to put a 15s tower there though, especially one so skinny.

So kind of a good news / bad news situation. First, the good:

The DP plans are posted online if you want to see more details about this project:
http://calgarysdab.ca/pdf/2018-0162/SDAB2018-0162 Plans.pdf

The bad: They are online because the project is being appealed:
http://calgarysdab.ca/pdf/2018-0162/SDAB2018-0162 Report.pdf

From the appeal report:
I do hereby appeal the decision of the Subdivision/Development Authority for the following reasons (Attach a separate page if required): We believe strongly that this development will create an extremely unsafe pedestrian and traffic situation, as well add the already congested parking situation, along 18th Avenue SE and at the corner of 18th Avenue south east and Macleod Trail southbound. Having lived in the area for over 5 years we are well aware of the current lack of street parking along 18th Avenue SE, west of Macleod southbound, and how 18th Ave already turns into a single lane roadway when student are being dropped of for school. Hundreds of student walk along 18 Ave, and that corner with Macleod, every school day morning, as do thousands of attendees to events at the Saddledome and Stampede grounds. We will detail the full extent of our concerns, along with copies of letters previously sent to City Planning expressing our fears and concerns to sdab@calagry.ca.

I noticed the owner's representative name on the application documents .... Dan Bowman ... who is/was the CEO of Liv Urban (have seen no record of any other developments by this company). It has gone from planned luxury high rise (8 years ago) to affordable housing now. I guess he held on to the property the whole time.

Back