Mission Landing | 26m | 6s | Opus Corporation | Casola Koppe

F13116C1-C465-4065-BF34-F738CE7E4F9F.jpeg

Attachments

• 3AF8084F-F7EB-49F4-BF26-CBA6C83603B0.jpeg
    3AF8084F-F7EB-49F4-BF26-CBA6C83603B0.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 466
I wasn't able to snap a pic, but there has been decent progress on the gas bar and liquor store, but still nothing happening on the residential portion.

I wasn't able to snap a pic, but there has been decent progress on the gas bar and liquor store, but still nothing happening on the residential portion.

I submitted a question to them about the building and got the following reply. Don't want to read into it, as my question was regarding rental stuff, but maybe there is more to it:

Thank you for reaching out to us. At this time, the residential plans for this project are still in the works, so unfortunately we do not have that information for you, at this time.

I submitted a question to them about the building and got the following reply. Don't want to read into it, as my question was regarding rental stuff, but maybe there is more to it:

Thank you for reaching out to us. At this time, the residential plans for this project are still in the works, so unfortunately we do not have that information for you, at this time.

I kind of assumed this was a play to get a Gas Station/Convenience Store/Liquor Store on this site, and the Residential portion was secondary and the what they used to get this zoning/DP on a 'main street' in this location. I would be surprised if the residential portion gets built even in the next 5-10 years. Hoping i am wrong.

I kind of assumed this was a play to get a Gas Station/Convenience Store/Liquor Store on this site, and the Residential portion was secondary and the what they used to get this zoning/DP on a 'main street' in this location. I would be surprised if the residential portion gets built even in the next 5-10 years. Hoping i am wrong.
Well this is correct.... :( updated DP, City response below:

This development permit is proposed by Co-op to revise the previous approved development permit to proceed with the gas bars, convenience store, and car wash and hold off the residential dwelling/liquor store/retail. In the interim, Co-op will provide an interim market use with upgraded landscaping plan prior to the future mixed use development. Co-op intends to open the auto-oriented uses in Summer 2020 and intends to develop the residential mixed use in 2021.

In short, the key changes in the revised DP will include the following:

1. Add phasing plan to the approved development (phase 1 – gas bars, convenience store, car wash | phase 2 – residential dwelling, liquor store, retail)
  2. Add landscaping plan and interim market use to improve site prior to the future residential mixed use.

I think that the City needs to be more savvy when it comes to dealing with developers.. This was so obvious that they wanted to get a gas bar, convenience store and car wash (as auto-oriented of uses possible) on what the City considers a Main Street, so they included an apartment to give the city a feeling like this is a win for them, and balanced Main Street goals while giving a little on some auto-oriented uses. I would imagine they never intended to build the apartment (the "detailed design" at DP was literally a box with some trees in front). Even the unit sizes were 500 sf 1 beds and 750sf 2 beds, which shows they literally did no refining of the floor and those were DD proforma placeholders. The land will receive the lowest cost landscaping possible, and will sit as vacant lot in perpetuity, and will be similar to the bait and switch that is now that wood deck park in front of the Bow tower, where the York hotel once stood. I could stand corrected and they do start the residential portion in 2021, but i certainly won't hold my breath.

Last edited:
That seems like a very expensive landscaping and shoring wall for a simple gas station. Here's hoping they are true full and more comes out of this project.

Back