Marda Loop Commercial | 10m | 2s | Certus

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
A new DP has been applied for in Marda Loop, at the NE corner of 22nd Street and 34th Avenue SW:

A retail and office development.

From the drawings:
1689622898396.png

1689622922662.png

To me it looks warm and inviting. Maybe it's my advancing age talking, but I have no problem with this type of "faux historical"....assuming it's built to a decent standard, it will probably stand the test of time better than most modern designs.

I wouldn't call it faux historical, just good use of centuries old quality architectural language.
Agreed - it doesn't have to be complicated of over-thought. It's just a tasteful small project, with good proportions, a clear pedestrian-orientation, what look to be decent materials (brick, metal), no weird alley surface parking to break the street wall etc.

The only reason it isn't forgettable is we don't build this simple yet good very often in the past 60 years. This type of project could literally fit on any street, in any neighbourhood of the city.

Another one for Marda Loops growing catalogue of tasteful, pedestrian-centric retail infill!

I love it! Perfect scale. Good materials. The retail bays could be split up or amalgamated depending on tenant needs. Love the potential for cafe seating in the sight triangle. Bonus is that it’s Certus so I have faith this won’t get VE’d. Only knock is stucco on the north elevation. I get why it’s stucco on the N and E elevations, but it’s too bad they aren’t doing full masonry on the N elevation since it will be a pretty visible wall for the foreseeable future.

Love everything about the design, totally classic. I wish they would have gone higher.... Looks like the next couple properties is in the process of rezoning.

View attachment 518969
C'mon give me a Nest-like tower on this site. It's adjacent to apartments and a gas station there's no greater opportunity. More than likely it will be a 5-over-1, which is still fine.

Back