M2 Block | ?m | 4s | XYC | Riddell Kurczaba

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
The M2 retail block will become next door neighbour to the Simmons Building upon completion. This block will house restaurants and offices when opened.

nA_M2_XYC_Design-Development_M2_CoolestKidOnTheBlock_MirFinal_med_1700wide1.jpg

nA_M2_XYC_Design-Development_M2_ShiftedLayers_MirFinal_med_1700wide1.jpg

nA_M2_XYC_Design-Development_M2_BlackWhite_MirFinal_1700wide1.jpg

nA_M2_XYC_Design-Development_M2_StampedeMorning_1700wide1.jpg

nA_M2_IMG_3280_cleaned-w1280-h1000.jpg

nA_M2_IMG_3764_1-100-aerial-w1280-h1000.jpg

nA_M2_Aerial-w1280-h1000.jpg

Proposed+M2+Commercial+Development,+by+XYC+Design%2BDevelopment,+urban+edge+along+Confluence+Way+small.jpg

http://narchitects.com/work/m2-mixed-use-building-2/

Last edited:
I think with the East Village opening people's minds to what can be done, the city will start to be more friendly to commercial development right along the Riverwalk. Unfortunately there are limited opportunities for that in Chinatown, Eau Claire, and West End, but I think once the West Village gets underway, riverfront restaurants and the like will be a big draw to that location, just as in East Village. I wonder if, when they redo Eau Claire Plaza, they could put a restaurant in where the public washroom and ice cream trailer parks, that would be a perfect location for a cafe of some kind, with still enough room for public washrooms.

She is a beaut. I especially like the look of its street facing aspect.

Any idea how far this one has progressed? Is it still a proposal potentially subject to redesign? Or is it at the permit or, dare to dream, construction phase?

I think with the East Village opening people's minds to what can be done, the city will start to be more friendly to commercial development right along the Riverwalk. Unfortunately there are limited opportunities for that in Chinatown, Eau Claire, and West End, but I think once the West Village gets underway, riverfront restaurants and the like will be a big draw to that location, just as in East Village. I wonder if, when they redo Eau Claire Plaza, they could put a restaurant in where the public washroom and ice cream trailer parks, that would be a perfect location for a cafe of some kind, with still enough room for public washrooms.

Agreed. There isn't much that's river facing apart from Simons Block right now.

Any idea how far this one has progressed? Is it still a proposal potentially subject to redesign? Or is it at the permit or, dare to dream, construction phase?
https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#property/DP2014-6148

Permit is approved, pending release. Not sure how close it is to construction, as there isn't a BP according to the my property map on calgary.ca. Not sure if this one would meet the new national energy code, and thus need a BP application before November 1? Any architects/designers out there who could wager a guess, purely off the renderings?

I'd like to see restaurant patios on the north side.

There already are.

Last I heard, they were planning to start this one within the next year or so. I definitely think it's feasible, as by the time this development is done, the EV will have grown from around 2000 people to around 5000, and the lure of the neighbourhood, with St. Patrick's Island Park, the St. Louis Hotel renovation (blues bar, restaurant, offices), the new grocery store, shoppers drug mart, liquor store, etc, will have increased dramatically, meaning lots more suburban visitors, along with the guests from alt Hotel and the Hilton.

XYZ site update:
Parcel M2 – XYC Design + Development As joint venture partner, CMLC will work with East Village developer XYC Design + Development to design and construct a parkade below a 21,000 SF commercial development that XYC is constructing next to RiverWalk Plaza. As this is considered a difficult development parcel to activate, CMLC will build, hold and own the parking structure until 2019, when it will be sold to the developer

Source: https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...933/CMLC+Business+Plan+Update+-+Optimized.pdf

Looks like, with a timeline of completion before 2019, construction on this one is imminent.

XYZ site update:
Parcel M2 – XYC Design + Development As joint venture partner, CMLC will work with East Village developer XYC Design + Development to design and construct a parkade below a 21,000 SF commercial development that XYC is constructing next to RiverWalk Plaza. As this is considered a difficult development parcel to activate, CMLC will build, hold and own the parking structure until 2019, when it will be sold to the developer

Source: https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...933/CMLC+Business+Plan+Update+-+Optimized.pdf

Looks like, with a timeline of completion before 2019, construction on this one is imminent.
That is freaking awesome.

Was talking with the EV Experience Centre guys and they confirmed what we've already heard, M2 block will start construction within the year.

Back