M2 Block | ?m | 4s | XYC | Riddell Kurczaba

There was an other project in the works for the empty lot right beside the Hostel, but was on hold for a re-design. Original proposal was for mixed use with office space and they were changing it back to residential only. I haven't heard anything about it, so I'm assuming it's on the back-burner for now.
I have mixed feelings about a lull in EV development. On one hand it would be great to get rid of those empty parking lots, on the other hand more development now would mean more gray spandrel and glass towers. The project that was put on hold (East Village Court) was actually different than the others, as it was white with green glass windows.
My only concern with a lull we have created another - albeit more modern and better designed - Eau Claire neighbourhood. Disconnected from downtown physically and mentally by a few remaining giant parking lots and wide roads, while not enough local population to sustain a full spread of retail in the long run once the initial exuberance has worn off. In an unlikely worst-case scenario, we see EV follow Eau Claire in failing to transition into a "real" neighbourhood, being always in a state of half-finished with less services and energy than it should be for the prime location. Just a bunch of rich people living quietly in towers along the river.

I don't think this dark version of the future will happen to EV given the stellar work by the city and developers attracted so far, but losing momentum as a place to invest over other areas in the inner city does risk a stubbornly incomplete feeling to drag on.

My only concern with a lull we have created another - albeit more modern and better designed - Eau Claire neighbourhood. Disconnected from downtown physically and mentally by a few remaining giant parking lots and wide roads, while not enough local population to sustain a full spread of retail in the long run once the initial exuberance has worn off. In an unlikely worst-case scenario, we see EV follow Eau Claire in failing to transition into a "real" neighbourhood, being always in a state of half-finished with less services and energy than it should be for the prime location. Just a bunch of rich people living quietly in towers along the river.

I don't think this dark version of the future will happen to EV given the stellar work by the city and developers attracted so far, but losing momentum as a place to invest over other areas in the inner city does risk a stubbornly incomplete feeling to drag on.
All I gotta add to this is that even though it can be frustrating sitting and watching the outcome, EV does hold a lot of potential on paper. The final population is suppose to be around 11500 people over an area of 0.5 sq km. Even if we hit only 10000 people, thats a density of 20k people per sq.km which is insane. Just merely having a super dense neighbourhood can go a long ways. Sure the big amenities/retail are missing and thats the big overall crisis that needs to be addressed for downtown/beltline in general. All the worthy exclusive shopping stores are beginning to run to the suburbs malls out of the Core shopping centre or out of 17th ave that people have no desire to live or visit Downtown. I'll tell u right now that simply opening something like an Apple store in EV would do wonders seeing how much outside foot traffic they tend draw. The city needs to get to the bottom of making the core great once again, someone needs to get to the bottom of whats causing retailers to flee or else it won't be just EV suffering.

Yeah, for sure. Definitely don't want to see it end up like another Eau Claire. I feel confident that it won't, but mainly because EV is planned and organized by CMLC. I think if Eau Claire had the same situation it could have been a great neighborhood.

All I gotta add to this is that even though it can be frustrating sitting and watching the outcome, EV does hold a lot of potential on paper. The final population is suppose to be around 11500 people over an area of 0.5 sq km. Even if we hit only 10000 people, thats a density of 20k people per sq.km which is insane. Just merely having a super dense neighbourhood can go a long ways. Sure the big amenities/retail are missing and thats the big overall crisis that needs to be addressed for downtown/beltline in general. All the worthy exclusive shopping stores are beginning to run to the suburbs malls out of the Core shopping centre or out of 17th ave that people have no desire to live or visit Downtown. I'll tell u right now that simply opening something like an Apple store in EV would do wonders seeing how much outside foot traffic they tend draw. The city needs to get to the bottom of making the core great once again, someone needs to get to the bottom of whats causing retailers to flee or else it won't be just EV suffering.

Having an Apple store or something like it would be great Even just a small retail centre somewhere in core would work. EV could still use some more retail other than the along the riverwalk to draw people. I feel it'll come eventually, but when or how is hard to say. Studio Bell and the Library will also be a big help.

IMG_5893.jpg
IMG_5896.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5893.jpg
    IMG_5893.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG_5896.jpg
    IMG_5896.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 656
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the Updates about what M 2 is All About. Its Been my Views that an Area with a Lot of New Residential etc needs to have some Commercial/Retail
to Make an Area Viable and a Going Concern. You need Things Like Dr's Offices, Dentists, Small Lawyers, a Kosik Bank or Two and What Have You. Having NO
Commercial Services doesn't make for a Successful Neighbourhood.

Tnx,
Operater.

Definitely need to have some retail services in a neighborhood to make it vibrant. A small pocket of a neighbourhood can be okay without retail, but as a rule of thumb, you need to have retail that is within easy walking distance.

Hi,
No sure but I believe this will B an Interesting Project in Its Own Right. Lets hope for the Best.

Tnx,
Operater

Back