M2 Block | ?m | 4s | XYC | Riddell Kurczaba

Yeah with the new parkade "Platform" going in as Llyod mentions I think we can have the odd building in EV going with minimal to no parking. Plus remember the saying "All the best places have a parking problem" ;) This also goes for bikes now in EV, on nice days all the bike parking around the Simmons building is usually very full. Lots of people coming to the community via active modes of transport.

IMG_20180524_165653.jpg

And away we go!!

In regards to the parking don't forget that the ALT hotel was built with a large component of public parking that will be managed separately from the hotel which should help alleviate the on-street parking crunch around the Simmons building.

Attachments

• IMG_20180524_165653.jpg
    IMG_20180524_165653.jpg
    477.2 KB · Views: 598
You make a valid point. I think this next decade will see parking pressures while the global shift in driving behaviour is still taking shape. I know many people aren't big fans but I like the option for off-site parking structures -- if properly wrapped with active uses. At least that way the land could be repurposed when our daily routines change and driving isn't the best option anymore. Walking a block or two to your car seems like healthy option too.

I'm very curious to see how Platform (across from the new library) will work.
I like that idea too. Scale down parking requirements for individual buildings, while having a central parking structure somewhere in the area. A central parking structure that can be re-purposed as parking demand changes.

I guess know it all comments are making there way to this site as well. Just stating my opinion. I work down there all the time and there isn’t much on street parking. But sorry I guess I’m not as knowledgeable as some ✌️
It's a valid point. Personally, I'm not worried about parking, but when re-developing an area like East Village, parking is something that still needs to be thought out.

I think it depends on what type of place we want East Village to be. Is it a local destination, or a city-wide destination? If you want it to be a place that a truly diverse cross section of Calgarians have access to, you’re going to need a reasonable amount of parking. If you only want mostly younger inner-city residents to walk there or visit on bikes, than I guess you don’t.

I live in Bridgeland, so when we visit EV, we usually walk or bike. My 60+ suburban-living parents on the other hand, love a lot of the inner city stores and amenities, but only if they can drive to them. My mom drives to EV to pick up Sidewalk Citizen bread. My dad will drive down, and then we’ll go biking around the riverfront. If parking became too much of a hassle, they would stop. I’m sure that there are a ton of other Calgarians like this...they enjoy the amenities, but only if they don’t become a barrier to access.

It’s always about trying to strike a balance (and I do think priority should be given to pedestrians/bikes)…but I’d hate for EV/Riverwalk to become a place that you can only enjoy if you’re part of the some select urbanist lifestyle.

I like that idea too. Scale down parking requirements for individual buildings, while having a central parking structure somewhere in the area. A central parking structure that can be re-purposed as parking demand changes.

A few thoughts:
Good idea. Add in rules that remove parking requirements completely + no new residential on-street permits we got ourselves a decent policy. Also charge more than 0 dollars for on-street residential parking permits (the first 2 are free; it's only $50 / year for the 3rd and subsequent vehicles in a household). It's amazing to me that we have decided that renting out ~400-600sqft (2 cars-ish) of public right-of-way space for 0 dollars a year is reasonable. And that's only in the permitted neighbourhoods!

If a developer thinks they can make a go of it with no parking, they should be able to. Just control for the design and public realm ramifications (no/minimal surface parking, structured has have a percentage that's convertable to other uses, high-quality screening etc.)

The statement "I never go there anymore, it's too crowded and there is no where to park" is usually a sign that you have succeeded.

I’d be curious to know how many registered residential parking permits there are city wide?

I was surprised there wasn’t even a small administration fee the first time I had to register for our permits. There’s labour cost for processing them each year, and used to be cost to printing each unique tag on different colour for each zone, plus envelope and postage costs.

Seems like something that should be a user pay system not off the top of general parking revenue.

A few thoughts:
Good idea. Add in rules that remove parking requirements completely + no new residential on-street permits we got ourselves a decent policy. Also charge more than 0 dollars for on-street residential parking permits (the first 2 are free; it's only $50 / year for the 3rd and subsequent vehicles in a household). It's amazing to me that we have decided that renting out ~400-600sqft (2 cars-ish) of public right-of-way space for 0 dollars a year is reasonable. And that's only in the permitted neighbourhoods!

If a developer thinks they can make a go of it with no parking, they should be able to. Just control for the design and public realm ramifications (no/minimal surface parking, structured has have a percentage that's convertable to other uses, high-quality screening etc.)

The statement "I never go there anymore, it's too crowded and there is no where to park" is usually a sign that you have succeeded.

That's what I'm talking about. Parking for some is a necessary aspect of life, but others surely not. People who don't need the hassle shouldn't have to pay the 50-75k for a stall they don't need in their new condo.

lmao damn it! I thought I was gonna get to show how quick this one is moving!

IMG_6240.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6240.JPG
    IMG_6240.JPG
    316.3 KB · Views: 531

Back