M2 Block | ?m | 4s | XYC | Riddell Kurczaba

If I recall the plans correctly, there won't be a parkade entrance for this building. They are constructing the basement/parkade, but you can't put a vehicle in there until the adjacent condo parcel is developed, and then this building will access their parkade through that one. The geometry of this parcel makes it impossible to put a ramp down into the underground parkade, and still have room for parking.
Seems odd that a building can open without onsite parking. With N2 and this building not immediately having parking it will put huge pressure on on street parking.

That was certainly a concern at the time of review. But, like I said, it is impossible to otherwise fit a parkade ramp on this parcel alone. There are some surface lots in the area for the interim, and the parkade on 9th Ave is planned. Plus, in my personal opinion, the coming revolution of autonomous/mobility companies will mean parking demand in an urban centre will dramatically decrease.

Very logical approach to the parking and in general a good move for Calgary to think more holistically about parking in terms of growing out of supply and demand. EV is pretty incredible spot. Great addition.

Hi All,
I See Two Bldgs in the Project Designs etc. Will there B Two Seperate Projects Blt on the Site? One Now and the Other One Later as Such? Do Like the designs of
Both Bldgs!

Tnx,
Operater.

Looks like this might get underway soon. The site is fenced off and there is a trailer setup.
20180506_154108_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20180506_154108_resized.jpg
    20180506_154108_resized.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 536
Oh yeah, whoops. Forgot to post...

IMG_4192.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4192.JPG
    IMG_4192.JPG
    283.2 KB · Views: 510
Seems odd that a building can open without onsite parking. With N2 and this building not immediately having parking it will put huge pressure on on street parking.

You're right. The people parking on the street will cause minor earthquakes, perhaps rioting and looting and maybe even loitering. The other businesses in the area will all shutter and cause a downtown for the Calgarian, nay, the Canadian economy.

Buildings without parking aren't the end of the world. There are hundreds in the city already. Almost no restaurant on 17th avenue has parking on site. Yet it is the busiest corridor in the city. Wonder how that happens? :confused:

You're right. The people parking on the street will cause minor earthquakes, perhaps rioting and looting and maybe even loitering. The other businesses in the area will all shutter and cause a downtown for the Calgarian, nay, the Canadian economy.

Buildings without parking aren't the end of the world. There are hundreds in the city already. Almost no restaurant on 17th avenue has parking on site. Yet it is the busiest corridor in the city. Wonder how that happens? :confused:

Suh-NAP! *snaps all sassy like*

Love this.

It is fun to dream! Removing the parking requirements for densely populated urban areas could bring a lot more innovative design...... It's refreshing the city was willing to work with the applicant to make this project a 'go'.

I guess know it all comments are making there way to this site as well. Just stating my opinion. I work down there all the time and there isn’t much on street parking. But sorry I guess I’m not as knowledgeable as some ✌️

I guess know it all comments are making there way to this site as well. Just stating my opinion. I work down there all the time and there isn’t much on street parking. But sorry I guess I’m not as knowledgeable as some ✌️

You make a valid point. I think this next decade will see parking pressures while the global shift in driving behaviour is still taking shape. I know many people aren't big fans but I like the option for off-site parking structures -- if properly wrapped with active uses. At least that way the land could be repurposed when our daily routines change and driving isn't the best option anymore. Walking a block or two to your car seems like healthy option too.

I'm very curious to see how Platform (across from the new library) will work.

Back