Kensington Mixed Use | ?m | 9s | Stonebriar | McKinley Burkart

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
A new thread for the Stonebriar residential proposal in Kensington. Two buildings, one 9 storeys, and one at 7 storeys totalling 180 units. A DP and Landuse will be submitted concurrently early in the new year.

Image16.jpg
Image20.jpg
Image17.jpg
Image18.jpg
Image19.jpg
Image21.jpg
Image22.jpg
Image15.jpg

Attachments

• Image16.jpg
    Image16.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,521
  • Image20.jpg
    Image20.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,699
  • Image17.jpg
    Image17.jpg
    677.6 KB · Views: 2,672
  • Image18.jpg
    Image18.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,581
  • Image19.jpg
    Image19.jpg
    980.1 KB · Views: 2,571
  • Image21.jpg
    Image21.jpg
    598.9 KB · Views: 2,298
  • Image22.jpg
    Image22.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,142
  • Image15.jpg
    Image15.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 1,913
Not the full design of course, but if the design ends up being like the concept, could be very nice. I like the massing, layout and general style of this one. This is one of those where materials can make or break. With good materials, it could be a great little project. It's being designed by McKinley Burkart, so I'm feeling confident :cool:

Say what? Since when!?! This is excellent! Really hope it ends up similar to the concept. 180 units right in the middle of the BRZ! I'll take it!

I like it. It reminds me of an old retro concrete building from the 70's, but with a modern twist. Assuming the building won't be concrete finish. As for the scale and design, it's spot on.

The rendering of that neighbouring building made me realize that it must be an old railway station (when I saw it in person I assumed it was an old church). Gladstone road used to be a railway, right? I recall reading that somewhere.
It doesn't ring a bell for me, but that would be cool if that was the case. They could call it Gladstone Station.

If it was a "railway" I imagine it was just a streetcar line.

A couple of duplexes and an aging non-descript building will be replaced. Total win! I really hope they get rid of those telephone poles.

Here's a link to the streetview of the location. It's right off Gladstone Road.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Ke...605ca02d52d31!8m2!3d51.0526142!4d-114.0871084

From my best guess, there are 24 or 32 units in the existing four buildings that this development is replacing. 180 units is a great net gain.

Unfortunately, all the existing buildings are old (1960s) and subsequently quite cheap. In a small, rich neighbourhood like Hillhurst, that represents a sizable loss of affordable housing stock. I still think the extra density is worth it, we just all should be aware that unlike a vacant parking lot development, this one is coming at a cost of affordable housing.

Last edited:
I didn't realize this one was replacing a sizeable apartment building. That's too bad.

Back