Kensington Mixed Use | 20m | 6s | Stonebriar | McKinley Burkart

I think you could sneak in 10 storeys without it going over the Bluff, considerations probably need to be made to keep sunlight on the stairs (since they are so popular as a workout destination). I've often thought it could be cool if any redevelopment of the site could incorporate the curling club in the plans. I'm no engineer but that could be tough for open spans needed for the rink and weight above.

I think you could sneak in 10 storeys without it going over the Bluff, considerations probably need to be made to keep sunlight on the stairs (since they are so popular as a workout destination). I've often thought it could be cool if any redevelopment of the site could incorporate the curling club in the plans. I'm no engineer but that could be tough for open spans needed for the rink and weight above.
That would be awesome. The old 18 storey hotel proposal for Kensington had squash courts at the top with back walls that were made of glass and faced out toward downtown.

I was wondering how a squash game would go against the glass backdrop. Maybe it was to be semi transparent glass? @Beazley66 would know what type of glass it was supposed to be.

10, maybe even 12. Looking at 10th St. from Upalong person Road over by state it seems like Pixel and Lido which are eight stories are a little over halfway up to the top of the bluff.

I was wondering how a squash game would go against the glass backdrop. Maybe it was to be semi transparent glass? @Beazley66 would know what type of glass it was supposed to be.

I wonder if you could go full clear? There are a few squash courts at the UofC that have the clear glass wall on the one side with the walkway to the Oval and such.

I wonder if you could go full clear? There are a few squash courts at the UofC that have the clear glass wall on the one side with the walkway to the Oval and such.
I think you probably can, but maybe for serious Squash players they would want a white background? Would be very cool.

I think you probably can, but maybe for serious Squash players they would want a white background? Would be very cool.

It's definitely possible. However, there are probably regulations for how strong glass like that would have to be if it was the entire barrier at the top of a building.

You might be able to get away with regular glass on the outside and then some sort of plexiglass or something as the actually squash background.

The glass on the courts at the university can take a lot of force - I'm not a small guy and used to regularly end up with bruises from at speed body checks with the courts. Competition courts have lots of glass, some fritted, some clear.

Just an FYI, that RBC across the street will be coming down too at some point. The developer has already done massing studies on that site and had an RFP out a while ago, so hopefully something should come down the pipeline on that front soon.

According to the hillhirst Sunnyside ca meeting minutes (on a tablet in Cabo so can't provide a link, just Google the website) Graywood is planning 9 stories with retail at grade for the RBC site. Just a verbal description, no massing.

Back