Kensington Mixed Use | 20m | 6s | Stonebriar | McKinley Burkart

Here's a link to the streetview of the location. It's right off Gladstone Road.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Ke...605ca02d52d31!8m2!3d51.0526142!4d-114.0871084

From my best guess, there are 24 or 32 units in the existing four buildings that this development is replacing. 180 units is a great net gain.

Unfortunately, all the existing buildings are old (1960s) and subsequently quite cheap. In a small, rich neighbourhood like Hillhurst, that represents a sizable loss of affordable housing stock. I still think the extra density is worth it, we just all should be aware that unlike a vacant parking lot development, this one is coming at a cost of affordable housing.

The apartment houses are fourplex suites (I used to have a friend who lived in one), so probably about 20-24 units. A good gain units wise, but yeah, the reality is also that cheap housing stock will also be lost.

Such is the nature of gentrification. Someday....and this may take a while, all these new units built in Kensington will be cheap housing stock. I probably won't be around to see it though.

Reactions: AJX
I went to Lifesport yesterday and didn't notice anything. I have to go back dow there today, so I'll let you know if I see anything.

I wouldn't count on anything happening with this if Stonebriar is still involved. They are currently being liened by a few different companies for 5 figure amounts and have not paid many suppliers.

I wouldn't count on anything happening with this if Stonebriar is still involved. They are currently being liened by a few different companies for 5 figure amounts and have not paid many suppliers.

That's too bad. I was excited for this one.

Another update on this, a potential sale of the site fell through. Stonebriar also had a court judgment against them to the tune of about $280,000.

I'm thinking best bet for this site is when the RBC site gets going, actively bridging the gap between the other higher densities on 10th street and this location.

That's a shame about the Stonebriar deal falling through, I thought the design was great. Haven't seen the plans for the RBC site, this must be something new?

I’m disappointed that the site did not get sold, could care less about Stonebriar especially since they’ve stuck it to many local vendors.
Maybe they can sell it to another developer but keep the design. Who knows maybe this is something Battistella can jump on :)

Back